MERC Sandwiches?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Rember hype that was in the press (well New Scientist then picked up by a board press ;) )about the 3 year sandwiches in 2002. They were expecting them in the shops in a few years.

Well where are they? And have any of you tried them and if so what are they like?

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Peanut Butter Sandwich Under Development
for "Super-intense Missions"

Actions much like those now underway in Iraq are part of the reason researchers are looking at the old standby peanut butter and jelly sandwich for nutrition and long lasting energy. Indeed, the all-American peanut butter and jelly sandwich is part of research and development at the Department of Defense. It wants one that will last three years. "Yes. A packaged peanut butter and jelly sandwich that has an unrefrigerated shelflife of three years at 80 degrees, or six months at 100 degrees," said Jerry Whitaker, spokesman for the Army's Soldier Systems Center in Massachusetts, which manages the department's combat-feeding program. He added, "It's important. Soldiers who don't eat right don't perform well."

This is certainly the thinking behind "First Strike Rations," now in development and being kept nder wraps. The ration will include two such sandwiches, as well as crackers, beef jerky, a high-energy drink, dried fruit and a kind of super-charged applesauce called "zapple", as well as the peanut butter sandwich. It is meant to be eaten during the first 96 hours of a conflict. The development took into account a lot of behavioral science, according to Gerald Darsch, the director of the project. "Soldiers on a super-intense mission want something that is literally fast food. Open and eat," Mr. Whitaker added.

They are looking for ways to prevent the beloved combination of peanut butter and jelly from getting moldy, growing bacteria, drying out, turning to mush, becoming plain unrecognizable or sapping moisture from the companion bread. Such concerns involve decidedly unculinary methods, such as "intermediate moisture technology," "oxygen scavenger packets" and 'tri-laminate pouches." Prototypes should start appearing in 2004 and are classified under the acronym MERC's, or mobility-enhancing ration components. They will be suitable for arctic, jungle, desert, mountain and urban areas.

LINK to the guys meant to be bringing it to fruition.

Don't think its passed the testing and evaluation stage yet though.
:)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
and here's a first strike ration

YUM!

Expected to be in the field by 2007.

Google for them - there's loads of info about them out there.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I remember seeing them on a UK Science TV Magazine a while ago. They must have been a press sample.

Isn't it strange that even though they have got other sandwiches ready. BBQ chicken and Pepperoni to name two that they are holding back for a PB&J;)

I suppose if it was the MoD here in the good old UK they would be waiting for "Cheese and Pickle", "Bacon and Brown Sauce" or 3 year "Chip Butty" ;)

Edit: Just thought the MoD could always just go to McDonalds and get burger bun and French fries to make the chip butty as I an sure they taste just the same after 3 years than after 3 mins ;) but of cause they would have to rename them the "Mc French Fry-which" :D

Combat buttie :rolleyes:

Sounds like another gimmick to me.
They have been fighting wars for centuries without wizz bang gadgets/ GPS's/ Gucci baps :)

Just another fad to spend your cash on.( save it and buy a descent knife or a return ticket to sweden/canada).

My two cents.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I was more interested in how bad I bet they taste ;)
But I disagree it part about "They have been fighting wars for centuries without wizz bang gadgets/ GPS's/ Gucci baps". Armies used to have huge baggage train, Quartermasters, Sutlers etc and took months to get into fray. Today with the rapid reaction forces that the western armies are planning/deploying you could be a squadie in Aldershot one day and be in the field the next. The concept of the MERC as in above reports are for the first 96 hours where you combat troops might not have time open and eat an MRE and before follow up logistics arrive. All you have to do is look back at all fast mobile action in WWII that were halted not by enemy action but by a lack of supplies.

When you think about it how many of us civvies at work live on prepacked sandwiches grabbed and eaten on the hoof?

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
the high energy rations aren't a new thing.

the americans developed high calorie rations in Vietnam for troops on Long Range Recces, called LRRPS rations.

The best rations I have had are the Canadian Rations (slices of bread and maple syrup :) )

the worst rations I have had are French Army Rations (dried poach eggs in Lentil sauce, :( and minitaure bottle of what is supposed to be wine :( :( )

the super sandwich sounds like a good idea! :D

Glad i'm a civvy now :D

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
the worst rations I have had are French Army Rations (dried poach eggs in Lentil sauce, :( and minitaure bottle of what is supposed to be wine :( :( )

Only the French would consider putting booze in Army field rations :D

Simon

The current 24 hr rations are designed to be eaten cold, which is o.k. but you are better off eating hot food because that is better for your morale.

From my own experience, when the lead starts to fly the last thing you do is break open the grub.
Eating is normally carried out during a lull in the battle.

Having said that now having looked at the links they do sound like a good idea :)
(72 hrs of nutrition could save your life in an emergency).
Could be good emergency grub for a bush pilot or mountain rescue operator.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE