Melting Ali

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dad collects foil for Guide dogs but a lot of the recyclers dont buy it any more.

He was suggested to melt it down.

hes none to sure of the best way

any ideas

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Molten metal is a very hazardous thing, especially in quantity. The required PPE is extensive, and not totally effective.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Dad collects foil for Guide dogs but a lot of the recyclers dont buy it any more.
He was suggested to melt it down.
hes none to sure of the best way

http://www.eaa.net/en/about-aluminium/recycling/
http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/recycling-metals/aluminium_production.php

To cut a long story short: the energy cost of extracting aluminium metal from its ore is at least twenty times that of getting the aluminium from scrap, so it's a Good Thing For The Planet (TM) to recycle aluminium.

Having said, that most scrap merchants don't want foil. They seem to prefer drinks cans etc. I'd suggest simply storing it until there's enough to make it worth while taking it to some place that wants it, but you'd probably need 50 to 100 kilos of the stuff to make it worth while. That's barely fifty quid at today's prices.

As Matt.S has said, molten metal can be dangerous. Having said that, molten aluminium is a lot less hot than, say, molten iron and if you're careful it should be possible to melt it safely. But I'd have to ask if it's really necessary? The energy used in melting it will be completely wasted because it will just have to be be melted again when it's recycled. So they don't take up a lot of room in storage I crush my scrap cans with a 14lb sledgehammer on a big anvil. It's good exercise, but there are other ways to do it. :) Foil is easier to flatten and store reasonably efficiently.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Going back to my school days we did a lot of lost wax processing with aluminium, from what I can remember we used a crucible on top of the forge and then used the tongs to pour it into our moulds. I don't expect they do it the same in schools now though :nono:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE