Medieval Style Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I received a commission the other day to make a wooden spoon in the Medieval style, the client didn't want an exact copy of something in a museum and just simply gave me the brief to "carve one in the Tudor style", so that's what i tried to do.

TudorSpoon1sep.jpg

The spoon is based upon Medieval pewter spoons that i have seen in museums and some of the books i have here, but also incorporates features that I've seen on Medieval wooden spoons at places like the Mary Rose and some of our local museums, many Medieval spoons had what they call "Knops" on the end of the handle, but rather than try to carve one of these, i decided to just taper the handle down along it's length, another feature of Medieval spoons is the large bowl and small handle both in length and diameter, despite this, this spoon still retains the strength of the wood, the handle also per others i have seen, is hexagonal in section.

The spoon still needs a little bit of tidy up work doing to it before it goes off, but I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
really nice spoon Kepis, top job :) the hexagonal idea is interesting.

Glad to hear poplar is a good carver as i've a big chunk in my back yard waiting to be whittled :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice spoon. I actually find most medieval wooden spoons to be of rather poor design also the Tudor Mary Rose ones which have a lot of short grain, they are mostly what I call lollipop spoons here is one of the two surviving Mary Rose spoons
220px-MaryRose-wooden_spoon2.JPG

I always found requests to make medieval spoons for re-encators and museums problematic because whilst I wanted to do something historically correct I did not like making poor spoons. In mainland Europe there are many more medieval spoons than in the UK (this is not down to differing preservation levels so must reflect differing use at the time I think we used more horn) In 2003 I visited Lubeck museum primarily to study the medieval wooden bowls but they also have an excellent collection of spoons. I took the best features of a couple of them and developed them into what I now sell as my "medieval spoon".
medieval-spoon.jpg

Whilst not being an exact replica the spoon is I think a good compromise between historical accuracy and good design and has inspired many including Barn one of the best spooncarvers in the UK today http://barnthespoon.blogspot.com/2011/07/greatest-eating-spoon-ever-made.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE