Medieval Loadout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Question for the collective hive.......

Has anyone got any useful detailed links for what a traveller/hunter would be carrying in medieval England? My initial Google searches return with the usual websites which while having some pretty pictures are light on the actual detail..... thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I think there is quite a distinction between a Traveller and Hunter of that time. Clothing would have probably been vey similar for both and well illustrated in the video, and a Hunter may have well carried the hatchet but I doubt the average Medieval wayfarer would have done so. Personally I think a Traveller would have almost certainly carried a staff or even a long Cudgel of some description in place of the hatchet, while for a Hunter a bow seems most likely.
A minor detail, but if you wish to be 're-enactor' accurate, then a Medieval traveller would have definitely carried a conspicuous religious item, a medallion, Rosary or even a Pilgrim token if on such a journey.
Few travellers of that time went anywhere at all without feeling they needed Divine protection. Rather like many people today who get the vapours if they realise the Iphone has been left at home.:laugh:..:laugh:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The Brother Cadfael books contain a lot of detail about the dress and equipment of travellers, merchants, foresters etc. of the C12 - Ellis Peters was known for her detailed research but how accurate the depictions are I can't tell you.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think there is quite a distinction between a Traveller and Hunter of that time. Clothing would have probably been vey similar for both and well illustrated in the video, and a Hunter may have well carried the hatchet but I doubt the average Medieval wayfarer would have done so.
I would think so far as the cutlery goes, something like a bauernwehr or Breughel messer of the type that Tod Cutler makes https://todcutler.com/collections/m...rge-knives/products/bauernwehr-with-by-knives

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE