Meatloaf (food).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Saw a video on youtube where a british man living in USA said he had never heard of meatloaf until moving to USA.
Is it really so, you don´t make meatloaf in the UK? Here in Fennoscandia it is a common dish.
Basicly same ingredients as in meatballs but in a different form.

Meatloaf.
Meatloaf-main.jpg

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It's not an uncommon dish here in the UK, I've eaten it since a child.

Reactions: Herman30

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
There are a number of regional UK dishes that resemble meatloaf. I’ve eaten a sort of meatloaf called “savoury duck” or “faggots”. They don’t call it that in America.
I can’t remember seeing recipes for meatloaf or seeing it in shops here in UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herman30

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I never heard of it called Meatloaf....I like his music though :)

Haslet, meat roll, faggots, savoury duck, potted meat.....as many regional recipes and names as there are towns and counties in the UK, I reckon :)

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
I make a game version with minced venison, pheasant and wood pigeon with added bacon. It works well in a lined bread tin. (Pressed before cooking) seems to work quite well

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I make a game version with minced venison, pheasant and wood pigeon with added bacon. It works well in a lined bread tin. (Pressed before cooking) seems to work quite well

I don’t like cooking programmes but I did enjoy “Two Fat Ladies”.

if you’re not frying in lard then go and cook something else!

They were sublimely politically incorrect and both were multi-layered people with incredible histories.

Whenever they baked in a tin they always lined the tin with streaky bacon. A huge faggot in a bacon lined tin is definitely on my list - possibly the last item on it If arteries can’t cope!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know three meanings, real ones, of the word.

One, it's a bundle of sticks/kindling.
Two, it's a rolled up stuffed meat dish.
Three, it's the insert borders around individual blocks of a patchwork quilt.

I'm not American....

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've seen it used as a verb to mean rolling up or bundling up things. I shall faggot my chattels and be on my way!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Isn’t that what the Roman army did for their temporary camps. Each one carried a bundle of stakes, sometimes around an axe which formed a stockade at night and was bundled up again for the next day’s march.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE