me first watch strap

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i have been trying to find the time for ages to have a go at this, so this weekend i got some more of me commissions done and promised me self that i would have sunday of, as i wanted to varnish me workshop floor, and have sometime with kids, and while they were playing in the pool i have just bought them i snook of and made me a watch strap for a watch that my dad gave me, no i dont wear a watch as i have the metal ones, and really hate then plastic ones as they make me wrist sweat.
so of to the workshop, and i made these, they are 4 mill thick premium veg tan, that i have tooled, and put a stippled effect on, and i have distressed and antiqued these straps, and for the stitching i went with white.
hope you like them

IMG_3346 by lucky_lee, on
IMG_3350 by lucky_lee, on
IMG_3351 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
all comments are welcome.
take care.
lee.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya....lolol....snook off....i do that quite a bit and am usually handed me spudz by my missus and left feeling like a neglectful dad....awwww....

trickier to do than appears i would think...nice job as always lee....nice colouring too and i like the white stitching...never used white myself, works well on this....i dont wear a watch either but this would certainly be tempting!!

a

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Is that really 4mm? Or have you skived it down a lot? I'd been wondering about doing a strap for myself but 3-4mm leather double thickess is going to be a pretty chunky strap.

Geoff :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
How does one "skive" leather to enable it to fit the pins? Do like that a lot - might make it my next project as current watch strap is annoying insomuch as it's either too tight or too loose with the holes it's got (metal eyelets in a canvas strap)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
How does one "skive" leather to enable it to fit the pins? Do like that a lot - might make it my next project as current watch strap is annoying insomuch as it's either too tight or too loose with the holes it's got (metal eyelets in a canvas strap)

There are various tools for thinning leather, from splitting machines, to round knives, and various others. My preference at the moment is the safety beveller: e.g. http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/safety-beveller.html Only thing with this is that it uses replaceable razor blades, so you can't really sharpen it up when it goes blunt, but have to buy new blades.

Geoff

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Lee! That's something I'd love to have a go at, it looks spot on mate. I'm just picturing a particular watch with a similar strap and natural coulored sinew now. Very nice

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have the same watch Lee :)

Now, thats a fine watch strap......but..it needs a "Lucky Lee" angle to set it apart from the crowd. An inbuilt compass in a flap over watch cover?. A ferro rod in a compartment?

:D

Red

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Is that really 4mm? Or have you skived it down a lot? I'd been wondering about doing a strap for myself but 3-4mm leather double thickess is going to be a pretty chunky strap.

Geoff :)
hi geoff, when i say 4 mill, i mean in total mate, 2 mill either side so the strap is 4 mill, does that make sense bud.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
We have the same watch Lee :)

Now, thats a fine watch strap......but..it needs a "Lucky Lee" angle to set it apart from the crowd. An inbuilt compass in a flap over watch cover?. A ferro rod in a compartment?

:D

Red
thanks bud, im doing some thing a bit different with the next one mate, i want to do a military one, you no with the cover over the top.
take care.
lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE