May Bank Holiday Nighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Happy Wednesday all!

Another one nighter over the bank holiday weekend, this time one of my bros came along.

Nick tolerates my youtube bushcraft marathons but isn't into it himself. He hadn't camped out since he went with cubs some 13 years ago. He mainly carried the food and water, plus a borrowed sleeping bag and some of my spare warm clothes - without a proper pack this was no fun.

I've been enjoying my hammock for chilling out during the day and wanted to sleep in it for the 2nd time. Nick used my tent - 2-man Gelert Rocky 2. We planned for the one night, possibly two if one of us made the hour or so trip for water refills (we didn't!).

We set off around 1 and got in the site by 2.30. We setup the tent, my basha and hammock and set about collecting firewood. No stove this time so I could carry the tent - I'm still on this big square camping gaz one!

This isn't an in depth report - we had lots of fun, I got a lot out of teaching him the little I know, got him sparking the fire, batoning sticks, all the good stuff!

Of note, the food -
- We slow cooked a few chopped up brisket steaks in tomatoes (we forgot to bring the garlic etc to make a proper "pizza maker steak" dish, but it was delicious. All cooked up in my Zebra billy insert.
- As this was cooking, we had a go at cooking a bite of steak each over the fire on birch skewers - this was the highlight! I've not tried it before but I'd do it again any time! It took longer than I thought, and we'd made the sticks too short - next time I reckon proper kebabs, these little morsels beat the bistecca alla pizzaiola, though it was very good and filling.
- Noodles - just to top us up around 11pm.
- A few treats, my new 1 litre drybag found a new use - Haribo!

I learned from this nighter that my tastes change wildly when outdoors. I tried add-water noodles (supernoodles I think) and they weren't too bad once I added 1/4 chicken stock cube to the water. This seems to be the standard food for a lot of campers, I'll try them out a few more times but I'm already thinking I'll convert to these dry foods - It's new for me to be eating these packaged foods though and don't want to start feeling rough when I'm out. We'll see.

Another revelation is that when outdoors, those 3-in-1 coffee sachets are good stuff! This will save me a bit of weight on milk and sugar, plus sheer size my regular brew kit takes up. I'm not going to write off this weight though - a kilo less of supplies means I can take something else in its place... and I'm giving serious thought to an axe.

Here's the link to the pics from the night, I hope they're enjoyed and that someone, somewhere will see them and get an itch to get out. As ever, they're on my gallery.

The Pics

Have a good one all

Brady

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Haha! I let it unfold for a couple of pics before righting him on that! I've not had one hit me but quite a few logs were ninja'd across camp over the years before I got my saw ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE