Mating Damsel Flies (Common Blue) - Large Picture

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hope you like this one - I was pleased with it - it clearly shows the colour differences between the male (blue) and the female (green / black) Common Blue Damsel. It also neatly captures the mating and egg laying (on the weed) behaviour.

The fish were having a field day!

561027031_19e2352bf7_b.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, thats another thing I've learned!

The fantastic Fenlander has shown me the subtle difference between a common blue and an azure blue - and this is an azure blue without doubt

If such things interest you (as the do me), there is an explanation here

http://www.brerc.org.uk/groups/dragonfly/blueazure.htm

I'll see if I can dredge up an image of a common blue as well later

Thanks Kevin - you really know your stuff!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So if I have got this right (and I'm hoping Fenlander will confirm)

This is an Azure Blue

509481525_d8d580f7ed_b.jpg

Whereas this is a Common Blue?

561511749_79a2cde88c_o.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes Jon, the top one is Canadian Waterweed :p :D

The greeny yellow one is (I think) Crosswort?

You and Kevin as a tag team - now thats the way for me to learn! Scary though!

Hugh

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you remember that spot where you were showing Junior Pickett the chamomile Jon? Its just there!

I have found my curve now - I have to look things up three times - they tend to stick after that!

Had a stunning day today as it goes - three new trees to photograph...

Holm Oak, Shiny Leaved Willow (the one that I put the bark photo up of) and a real oddity - an Indian Bean Tree.

Happy Days!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Do you remember that spot where you were showing Junior Pickett the chamomile Jon? Its just there!

I have found my curve now - I have to look things up three times - they tend to stick after that!

Had a stunning day today as it goes - three new trees to photograph...

Holm Oak, Shiny Leaved Willow (the one that I put the bark photo up of) and a real oddity - an Indian Bean Tree.

Happy Days!

Red

Its growing in lots of places around you, I noticed. Was a good day today, we had an open day at the nature reserve....Had a superb wood carver there, and lady with a load of bats inc some little ones she was hand feeding...

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great pics glad you are getting the time to get out now you have a little time on your hands.
Seems like you are having a great time at the mo keep up the pics Dave

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its growing in lots of places around you, I noticed. Was a good day today, we had an open day at the nature reserve....Had a superb wood carver there, and lady with a load of bats inc some little ones she was hand feeding...
Would have loved to see the flittermice - I'll show you some long eared if you like next time you come round - not so many in the summer since its a winter roost but loads in the winter!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Would have loved to see the flittermice - I'll show you some long eared if you like next time you come round - not so many in the summer since its a winter roost but loads in the winter!

Red

Tell you what, the lady was amazing, she rescued bats and gave a home to any bat that could not be released for whatever reason. She really knew her subject and was great to watch her handle the bats....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE