Material sourcing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Apologies if this has been posted before but I'd like some suggestions on good websites to sources materials for DIY bushcraft projects.

Thought it would be a good list to compile. I realise it would be a big list as projects are very varied. But things like leather, sil nylon, waxed canvas, wood blanks for carving etc.

What are the decent sites you have used to source materials for your projects? Aside from Amazon or Ebay, or if eBay which seller?

Thanking you in advance.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Leathercraft is disappointingly supported in the UK. The main sources are:

Le Prevo - I get all my leather from here but it is a truly dreadful website; I'm sure they would double their sales if they modernised it
Identity Leather - expensive; tools are often double the price of Tandy
Tandy Leather - again expensive but they stock a very wide range of tools and materials

Wood: I'm afraid I source all mine from my wood :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Visit a marine supply ship's chandler.
I'm sure you have many along your coast lines in port cities.
All things brass and all things rope and cord.

I like farm supply stores for the same reason, slightly more "terrestrial" products like horse tack parts.

Wood for carving is a sometimes singular thing as the wood selection might depend upon the type of carving.
Many species turn from cheese to bone as they season and dry ( and often crack).

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Sourcing materials is like a finger pointing away to the moon.
Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of the local freebies!

• Freecycle: Hit & miss, but a good source of sofa leather.
  • Local council website: Know thy bin wagon routes & get up early. It's amazing what people throw out.
  • Charity Shops: do a stint as a volunteer and butter up the staff. A lot of what they receive is deemed unsaleable but can be useful to us.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Fabrics:
Although actually I buy my tarp material from the US and have had other fabric from Germany.
I have bought from Dutchware, but never again after learning about some very dodgy and predatory business moves he made.

Steel
Cromwell Tools
I have bought from Barmond Special Steel, but they appear to have gone.

Other metals

Leather, used the sources already mentioned, including charity shops.

Tools
This could be a long list, but the ones that have seen significant custom
https://www.woodworkprojects.co.uk/ good for Z-saws

Bandsaw blades, which I have used for carpenters bowsaws for profile cutting everything from Tufnol to 2 inch thick ash.

Wood
Most of what I use comes from local woods or my firewood pile.
Milled lumber, I picked up some prior to Covid from local yard, but now, unless you are building a house, delivery is crazy. Mail order, I have used:
https://www.surreytimbers.co.uk/ Based on a video I have seen of their yard, their website does not show anything like their full stock.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Oooh, Surrey Timbers :) I used to work close-ish and pop in from time to time. Each visit there cost me a fair bit, but they usually had something of interest - padauk or quilted maple boards, etc etc. Even their offcut bins were well worth a detailed rummage.....

It’s probably saved me some hobby cash moving to Somerset. But then there’s Yandles...and so it goes.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
G10/Micarta etc.

Some buckles & fabrics

Cordura PU in various camos and weights

Tent/outdoor fabrics from Netherlands

Reactions: Wushuplayer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Don't; I despair to think about it - not the waste so much as the destruction :(
I did some ecological surveys and air quality reports at the very start, no real interest in my reports, progression continues.....i left my job to a role where my work matters and my experience is listened to....

Davey G

Sep 13, 2021
London
Hi guys, new to the group, some really good resources in here. I've been a part of the community for a while but have never joined a forum.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Davey G

Sep 13, 2021
London
Fabrics:
Although actually I buy my tarp material from the US and have had other fabric from Germany.
I have bought from Dutchware, but never again after learning about some very dodgy and predatory business moves he made.

Steel
Cromwell Tools
I have bought from Barmond Special Steel, but they appear to have gone.

Other metals

Leather, used the sources already mentioned, including charity shops.

Tools
This could be a long list, but the ones that have seen significant custom
https://www.woodworkprojects.co.uk/ good for Z-saws

Bandsaw blades, which I have used for carpenters bowsaws for profile cutting everything from Tufnol to 2 inch thick ash.

Wood
Most of what I use comes from local woods or my firewood pile.
Milled lumber, I picked up some prior to Covid from local yard, but now, unless you are building a house, delivery is crazy. Mail order, I have used:
https://www.surreytimbers.co.uk/ Based on a video I have seen of their yard, their website does not show anything like their full stock.
I've bought from many of these companies over the year. groundflatstock.com are usually a good option.

Another one that has helped me with supply during the recent Brexit delivery problems has been https://sheffieldgaugeplate.co.uk/.

Anyone else been having trouble getting delivery with Brexit? Sometimes having to wait weeks with some companies I've ordered from previously.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE