Mastino Wool Bush Shirt by Endicotts. (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inusuit

Dec 30, 2009
Wyoming, USA
A interesting and well-made shirt/coat. I note that lots of UK bushcraft garments are pullover. So I wonder how you prevent overheating and sweating when on the move? In my case, I need to layer and be prepared to open zippers, buttons, etc. to keep from soaking myself from the inside. In a garment like this one, I would be drenched in the first quarter mile of uphill trail.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Maybe one has to do what over at wintertrekking.com is called "being on the edge of cold", meaning that one has to wear only those few clothes as not to start getting too warm and subsequently sweating while on the move.
http://wintertrekking.com/index.php...835f8f3f06a&action=article_intro&sub=Clothing
"The common thread for the body layering components will be venting excess heat and moisture. In fact the secret to staying warm and dry in winter is staying "cool". Experienced winter trekkers will talk about "traveling on the edge of cold", which means when you are working hard, e.g. hauling a toboggan, your system is stripped down to the absolute minimum so that you are comfortable, not sweating much, and not hot, but instead comfortably cool. You want to be a cool camper, don't you?
I tried it and it works, albeit takes some getting used to, because i had to relearn gow to dress.

Inusuit

Dec 30, 2009
Wyoming, USA
Experienced winter trekkers will talk about "traveling on the edge of cold", which means when you are working hard, e.g. hauling a toboggan, your system is stripped down to the absolute minimum so that you are comfortable, not sweating much, and not hot, but instead comfortably cool.

Yes, you stated my concern much better than I did. My most miserable time in the outdoors was U.S. Army basic training in January/February. Those in charge selected the uniform of the day. We'd double time to an outdoor training area, not allowed to unbutton our field jackets. Of course everyone was wet from the inside by the time we were required to sit outdoors for two hours in 0 C temps.

"Traveling on the edge of cold" says it perfectly.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
A interesting and well-made shirt/coat. I note that lots of UK bushcraft garments are pullover. So I wonder how you prevent overheating and sweating when on the move? In my case, I need to layer and be prepared to open zippers, buttons, etc. to keep from soaking myself from the inside. In a garment like this one, I would be drenched in the first quarter mile of uphill trail.

Of course it all depends if you are going to undertake hi-energy activity ;)

If you like you can add a full zip as an option to this one. I am sure that pit-zips and side zips could be added. However I don't think you can get away with the undoubted thickness and warmth of the garment when viewed as a single layer. Horses of courses really - I don't think this 'shirt' will be for the ultra-light, hi-energy, edge-of-cold fraternity. You could always do a Wim Hof :D

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/daredevils/video/series-1/episode-3/ice-man-or-maniac

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE