Marzipan Anyone?

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Ok no pics bt I grab a piece of freshly cut wood today and it smell strongly of Almonds, bt I know it isnt from almond tree. Any guesses?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cherry, well gean, the wild cherry, the bird cherry, smells strongly of bitter almonds / marzipan. I have to watch when I use it for dyeing wool because HWMBLT thinks I'm going to poison everyone with cyanide :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have tried it a few times for carving as there is a lot of it around my workshop and most prunus species are a joy to use. Mostly I was using small branches up to 3". I found these tended to be a bit fibrous and not easy to get a clean cut finish, also a bit boring colour wise to be honest pale but without the bright sparkle of some pale woods like sycamore, it may develop nice heartwood when larger. I would definitely try it again though, past experience shows that wood and its carving properties varies widely from one tree to another within the same species depending on growing conditions, time it was cut, how long it was left until it was worked, all sorts of things can affect it. All the more reason for experimenting with anything that comes your way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE