Martyn's Mini Photon tutorial...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Superb tutorial mate :biggthump. I had a look around at my local somerfield today at the red rooster cans and lo and behold they have a mixture of steel and aluminium cans. They are out there they're just difficult to find. I bought six of them for future projects :eek:):

leon-1

tenbears10 said:
Do you guys have other cans which work or are these the proven pair? Excellent tutorial Martyn. Thanks

Bill

Bill, I have used Puree tins as a base with red rooster tins (only the steel ones, I was chicken and wasn't brave enough to use a Alu can), red rooster cans can be had at your local somerfield, but if you are after steel keep a watchfull eye as they have both aluminium and steel in my local shop :wave:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
leon-1 said:
keep a watchfull eye as they have both aluminium and steel in my local shop :wave:

Thanks Leon but do you go to somerfield with a magnet to test the cans (if so which way round is it) or does it say what metal they are on the ingredients.

Bill

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
A very simple, and relatively easy to make (with a bit of care!) variant on the can stove is this one:

YACC Can Stove

I have made a couple of these, out of aluminium cans, and although it might take a few goes to get them fitting together properly, they burn extremely well, and heat things at a comparable speed to a trangia.

The major advantages of this design is that it can be made with a drinks can and a penknife/scissors (easy to obtain, and doable almost anywhere - my last one I made at a music festival when my friend's trangia broke!), coupled with the weight (less than the weight of an empty drinks can - i.e <50-100g ?
the other major advantage is that this design provides an in-built pan-stand, since the jets emerge below the lip of the can, and this is where the cooking pot can rest.

Having said that, I really like your Mini Photon design for a sturdy efficient and easy-to-store stove!

leon-1

tenbears10 said:
Thanks Leon but do you go to somerfield with a magnet to test the cans (if so which way round is it) or does it say what metal they are on the ingredients.

Bill

Bill most cans have something onthe side to say what they are, it will say steel or Alu, this is what they look like.
P1010064Small.jpg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Leon

Thanks for the pic. I had seen alu in those arrows before but never steel. Had a funny picture in my mind of you checking all the cans in somerfield with a magnet :eek:):

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE