Map coordinate sheet help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one Simon, I may take a peek at them. I learnt in the Forces, we have to 'cos Officers with maps are dangerous folk indeed! I like to brush up now and then though, and it is nearly time for my eldest to start learning.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
2008 could be the year I tackle my cartographobia :)

I was extremely tempted by Woodlore's week long course on the topic but I think
handling self-catering and a week in the woods and map reading is a bit much for me.

Wilderness Navigation
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Course/Week/444-Wilderness-Navigation/

What I really need though is city map navigation - I've still not cracked it, doesn't
help that quite often roads don't even have names on them :(

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
The advantage of not being able to drive is that I get lost slowly and don't have to walk too
far before I realise that I'm a bit lost and can retrace my steps. Buses can sometimes be
a help in pointing me in the right direction.

There's an orienteering / mappy thing in North London I might look into, but I have a
feeling it involves a bit of running. Running ain't going to happen :D

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I have a time/distance walked calculator card with 1:25000 and1:50000 romers/grid ref readers on the edges. I have one laminated and attached to my rucsac belt. I tend to keep my compass safe inside the sac when not in use. It is a MS Publisher file. If anyone can tell me how to go about it I'll put it up for download, otherwise intersted parties can PM me email addresses and I'll send the file on.

So you can see what I'm wittering on about:

SANY0120.jpg

SANY0119.jpg

Elegant, hey?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

I was extremely tempted by Woodlore's week long course on the topic but I think
handling self-catering and a week in the woods and map reading is a bit much for me.

What I really need though is city map navigation - I've still not cracked it, doesn't
help that quite often roads don't even have names on them :(

Do a weekend navigation course with a ML, be cheaper and more focussed on navigation. There must be plenty of featureless terrain down south for you.

The AZ delibirately has flase names and extra streets that don't exist, it's to differeniate it and prove copyright ownership. City maps ar poor topos. Better to print off a google maps sat image sheet of a route you walk, say twenty mins, and follow out on foot, marking where you go. Then when you get back see if it matches on the OS map.

Nick

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Good heavens is that what real maps look like? I've only ever seen A-Z type things and
find them scary enough (on which side of the road is the railway station I've just walked
out of and should I go left or right?) and there's even more informaiton in that one to
process. I give up :)

Taxi for Jodie. Quite literally :rolleyes:

Having said that, that positioning device is v. nifty.

I hate coming out of underground stations and then trying to figure out where the heck I am on the map. I normally spend ages wandering round only to find that I headed in the wrong direction to start with!

But as for real maps, what I reckon you need, is a couple of hours out in some countryside where you can see around you with someone who understands map reading. Once you can relate the map to the ground you'll wonder why you ever thought you had a problem with it. When you look at an OS map with some practice you should be able to see in your mind a little three D model of the ground.

H

He' s left the building

HeHe, that tickled me, I'm the opposite!

My wife thinks I'm mad when I settle in front of the TV to have a read of my maps, or spend a couple of hours in Stanfords browsing the maps and atlases?!

I've recently discovered the new plasticy ones from the British Mountaineering Council, they only do a few of the UK mountainous areas so far, but I just get drawn in by the colours?!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE