Managing a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I take note that there are many different constructions for campfires. I have mainly been using a teepee to light a fire, turning into a random jumble of various hardwoods and softwoods, with the exception of a star fire a few times to cook.

I want to improve both my construction of a fire, and my sensitivity towards different types of wood for different occasions. My questions are these: how do you build your fires, and which woods do you use?

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I like to start off with a tepee fire because this will get the fire going quickly but I don't keep it for long because it will eat up your fuel quickly, from there I tend to rearrange into a star fire - with this firelay I can gradually feed the fuel into the centre of the fire, a good arrangement for cooking. I also like to use a mini version of a long log firelay with a small split log I can then rest pots over the flames or suspend them as required.
Wood is important too, when making pothangers etc. I will use greenwoods because it will not scorch easily. Ash burns slow and gives plenty of heat so is very good for cooking as is oak.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Sometimes, but not always, I line up two thick pieces and fire up the small twigs in between. The two pieces both funnel air into the fire and contains the heat, making the fire stronger. After a while, when good coals have developed I add more big pieces in between the big ones.

Torjus Gaaren

There is something I have been wanting to try, however its more suitable for a permanent camp as opposed to an overnight. There is a name for this but it escapes me at the moment. It involves fashioning a dirt fireplace complete with fresh air intake channel and chimney. Pots, pans, grills etc are placed over a fire pit - sort of on the order of the volcano heat source at your local Chinese Take out place. Smoke and ash are carried away up the chimney and away from food. It would require some time and effort to set this up, but seems like a neat way to cook while at camp.

lits

Aug 16, 2005
Surrey/ Charterhouse
Jeff Wagner said:
It involves fashioning a dirt fireplace complete with fresh air intake channel and chimney. Pots, pans, grills etc are placed over a fire pit -.
A sort of Yukon oven/dakota fire hole type thing? a chimney connected to a fire pit via a short tunnel. You cook over the pit?
biddlesby said:
how do you build your fires?
try a google search,i use a siberian fire lay normally a good layer of embers for minimum expenditure of fuel.I tend not to use the teepee fire as it dosent feed itself as the branches often getcaught and are to far from the heat to burn.
As for woods there is the old 'soft woods for boiling hard woods for roasting thing'.
EDIT: the dakota fire hole.here
(2nd picture down)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have to admit to following the usual tipi type start then lay wood parallel to create a ember base that can be 'gathered' for added and controlable heat.

However I have had a go with an 'Indian fire' a couple of times and in a situation with little firewood and or wanting to minimise impact this is an excellent way of making a 'cooking' fire - is no good for heating you though!

I found it here and with little more than finger thick sticks to stoke it got water boiling quicker than the scouts did on traditional fires (We as Leaders made one as a demo - and because we could! ;) )

It takes a bit of work to get it made but once done is great!!! and we found stoking it by bunging twigs straight down the exaust hole was better / easier than the air intake

has anyone else tried this?

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
dont mean to hijack the thread but thought it would be a good opportunity to show others how NOT to leave a campfire and the correct way TO leave a camp fire

efee42fd.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE