Making your own bush grog!!!!

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hey all

Just wondered what sort of beers or wines you make from your foraging trips, me, I make apple, pear, blackberry and sloe wine. Stout and strong lager, sloe gin. Orange from cartons so i suppose its cheating, but wifey loves it...

Don

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have a bottle of Cherry brandy on the go, should be done for Christmas.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I've got a gallon of blackberry wine on the go at the moment... Other wines I've done from foraged ingredients would be elderflower, elderberry, and raspberry. The strawberry wine I guess doesn't count as I bought the strawbs. ;) I also do grape wines from kits in the winter, and various kit beers, often tweaked with additional hops.

At some time in the future I really want to try involving heather and bog myrtle in my beer-making...

Homemade booze is great! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm

Pilsner,
Bitter
Stout
Porter
Barley Wine
Elderberry
Elder Flower
Gooseberry
Rhubarb
Blackberry
Blackcurrant
Herb
Tea
Elder Flower
Elder Berry
Hawthorn
Various wines from pressed grapes
Cider
Perry
The infamous "fire wine" (sshhhh)
Blackberry Brandy
Sloe Gin
Raspberry Vodka,
Ginger Brandy

and many more :eek:

I've been "on the wagon" since my op - but I seem to have happy friends?

Red

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Red you have me intreeged ! what have you cococked with the TEA (dont say a cuppa)and to pick your brains what did you make using hawthorn - Iv had a go my self Black berry vodka--Elder berry gin--Damson vodka that is dam good stuff and Pineapple dark rum

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Just started some sloe gin and sloe vodka, first time so I can't wait to try the results. At least I hope it is sloes at any rate:eek: . It was SWMBOs:D idea so went foraging this afternoon, up by Forest Camp(Delamere meet site), wasn't many about but enough for a bottle of gin and a coffee jar of vodka. I used the empty stags breath bottle, got to find a refill now!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi John, both the Hawthorn and tea were turned into country wines. The hawthorn was okay but not really worth the effort if I'm honest. Tea wine is surprisingly nice - like a dry white I guess. The use of all the lovely "fruit teas" that are around now is to be encouraged I must say - try lemon and ginger herb tea bags - yum! Remember to add the necessary acid balancers and fruit nutrients with teabags (available from all online brew shops or just lob in a cup of orange juice for acid and some apple juice as nutrient). Works really well and cheap as chips.

Lapsang Souchong wine is weird. Tastes like alcoholic smoke.

Red

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Lapsang Souchong wine is weird. Tastes like alcoholic smoke.

Red

I am really liking that idea:)
Sort of a wine version of Laphroaig?

My mother used to make all kinds of wines from stuff picked locally, Gorse flower,Rowanberry, Damson, Elderberry, Elderflower, Rhubarb, Gooseberry, blackberry, blackcurrent, potato, and she also used to buy seconds from the fruit market so there was all sorts of wines on the go.

I keep saying that I will do some myself but as usual not getting round to it:eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seriously demographic, its a doddle - tricky for the first couple of batches but its really just water, sugar, yeast and flavour. Never tried gorse flower but I bet it would be coconutty and yum!

I like Laphroig - lapsang souchong wine is even smokier though!

Red

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Seriously demographic, its a doddle - tricky for the first couple of batches but its really just water, sugar, yeast and flavour. Never tried gorse flower but I bet it would be coconutty and yum!

I like Laphroig - lapsang souchong wine is even smokier though!

Red

I know, used to watch her as a nipper and I am sure I missed out a few of her wine varieties.

They always turned out a bit too sweet but nobody could say that the yeast died out because of starvation;)

Going to have to get my **** in gear:eek:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
9 bottles of sloe vodka from last year where filled last week, off to harvest the sloes for next years bottling tomorrow

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Bloodyhell, seems a tasting session may be on the cards, Red, **** you got some stuff on the go mate, today i started my blackberry gin and vodka " new batch", should be lovely, There should be a grog thread or even fest on here aye.

Good luck with the brewing folks.

Don

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Hmm

Pilsner,
Bitter
Stout
Porter
Barley Wine
Elderberry
Elder Flower
Gooseberry
Rhubarb
Blackberry
Blackcurrant
Herb
Tea
Elder Flower
Elder Berry
Hawthorn
Various wines from pressed grapes
Cider
Perry
The infamous "fire wine" (sshhhh)
Blackberry Brandy
Sloe Gin
Raspberry Vodka,
Ginger Brandy

and many more :eek:

I've been "on the wagon" since my op - but I seem to have happy friends?

Red

You have got to get to a North meet Red, we could chip in and send a Taxi for you!:D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They arent all on the go at the same time though ;)

Actually I missed my main two since they are my most "common" brews - Mead and Metheglin. I rarerly do a true mead these days unless my beekeeper mate had a nice batch of clover or heather honeys (sometimes they get into rape and frankly its not even worth brewing the). Mead takes me so long to do (about 9 months since I slow ferment it) that I prefer to do more interesting things now. The dry spiced mead (really a metheglin) seems a favourite this time of year - clover honey warmed and infused with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and just a hint of allspice. Imagine the smell of honey drizzled over warm christmas pudding.

Still got a few gallons of that kicking around somewhere ;)

Goose - I have to be a bit careful at meets as a few around here can tell you. I do warn people that some of my brews are potent - but on more than one occasion people have had to be put to bed :eek:

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bottling it all at this time of year is a right old pain though - this is some of todays :rolleyes:

1507572863_e71f5042e0_o.jpg

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE