Making tofu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think its great that you've got experimental and smashed something out with your own hands.

Recently I've made Duck Proscuttio , today I've made some Chorizo sausages for curing and hanging and tomorrow I fancy have a try at home made Mozzarella.

Getting hands on and experimental is a good thing.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think its great that you've got experimental and smashed something out with your own hands.

Recently I've made Duck Proscuttio , today I've made some Chorizo sausages for curing and hanging and tomorrow I fancy have a try at home made Mozzarella.

Getting hands on and experimental is a good thing.

Yes it's quite good fun and very satisfying.when something turns out well. I've had a few failures this year though! This seems to be so easy, has lots of uses in cooking, and is a healthy and versatile alternative to meat, protein wise.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good, tasty, nutritious food is good whatever it is made from.
Bad, boring, texture-less,, insipid food is bad no matter what it is made from.
If it is straightforward and not messed about with (ie a good steak) rather than knitted soy protein that has to be made by some alchemic process so much the better.
Pass me the Soylent Green please..... ?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Tofu is all well and good if you have soya beans.

(But soya beans are best made into soy sauce, -something that stores well and is tasty).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good, tasty, nutritious food is good whatever it is made from.
Bad, boring, texture-less,, insipid food is bad no matter what it is made from.
If it is straightforward and not messed about with (ie a good steak) rather than knitted soy protein that has to be made by some alchemic process so much the better.
Pass me the Soylent Green please..... ?

We are the cooking apes. Soy protein is simply cooked beans.

Even quorn is just micro mushroom protein.

Seitan is wheat gluten.

None of it needs knitted.

I do agree though that bad, boring, texture-less and insipid food isn't good.....but then I like porage, and mashed spuds, and peas, and polenta, and rice....so define boring and insipid ?

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cooked well none of that lot is boring and insipid - subtle flavours perhaps but not insipid :)
I love rice (wholegrain - not polished white) and porage (made with water and served with salt and a splash of milk) is a standard breakfast for me. Supermarket white "bread" is something I avoid as much as possible as it is as bad as tufu ....
Stuff like "Beanfeast" gives me crippling wind and generally soy disagrees with my digestion - as does an excess of gluten :(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A lot of people cant stomach soya products easily.

My Dad cant...Though he can eat quorn.

Ive heard unprocessed soya is bad for you. The chinese always seem to process it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@John Fenna

Looking for something else, tripped across this older thread.

No, I'm in agreement with you on the beanfeast. That really is tortured vegetable protein. I like tvp, but no one else in the house is fond of it. Beanfeast is just a double dose of indigestion.

I think mushroom are much under-rated as an ingredient in veggie burgers and mince kind of meals though.

Coarsely grated mushrooms, or firm tofu, makes a really good mince substitute for recipes that need that body and texture. Shepherdess' pie, lasagne, chilli, that kind of thing.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Beanfeast was a standard camping go to in the 70's and 80's. Havnt seen it around for a long time. But it was filling, cheap, quick and easy.
Soy protein can be a problem if you are not used to it. It takes a while for the digestive system to be able to adapt to deal with it properly.
I ate it a lot in the 70's, but not had access to it for many years. Finaly found some soya chunks a few weeks ago, which I used to make a lovely "steak" pie with.
Been going through all my recipe books, (many of which went to the charity shop on Friday, as I don't eat the same as I once did,) while looking for the recipe.
Can't blooming well find it.
Grrrrrrr!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE