making strop question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I can only speak from my own experience, I'm no pro but I've found that pretty thin say 1.5-2mm veg than cow leather works well, I put mine on oak veneer off cuts (know the right person to get hold of that) and I use the green compound can't remember the name of it but it's a bit more coarse than the blue from what I remember. I reckon almost any leather would work though.

As an example:

Veg tan leather offcuts

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
To be honest, card from cereal packets works well because it’s uniformly flat. I’ve had good results from hard side up 3mm veg tan leather, but better from thinner stuff where the board it’s glued to is dead flat. Thicker leather tends to depress and therefore curve around the edge.

Lots of leather off cuts on eBay.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
An old leather belt glued to a strip of pine (or any other wood) off cut works fine. The debate on smooth or suede side up will go on forever though :)

Any metal polish will do as well.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
An old leather belt glued to a strip of pine (or any other wood) off cut works fine. The debate on smooth or suede side up will go on forever though :)

Any metal polish will do as well.
Second this. I just nailed a belt into a block of wood.
Rough side up for me.
No paste or owt.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE