Making of a daffodil pendant.. WIP

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys

Following a recent trip to Wales to visit my sister and having a good laugh at her trying on a very embarassing daffodil hat in tesco, I've been inspired to make a daffodil pendant :) I actually remembered to take a few pictures as I've been going along and thought I'd share them.

I started off with a piece of sterling silver sheet and length of tube and a rough sketch of my design. I actually started this a few days ago and only thought to take pics today, so unfortunately I don't have pics of the initial stages but here is the first one I took before starting this morning..

20140303_101723.jpg

At this point I have already started on the tube which will become the centre of the flower. I have cut 6 grooves in the top and then using my doming punches, have opened it up slightly. I then rounded off the edges with sandpaper and files and have arranged my petal design on the sheet ready to cut out.

20140303_103036.jpg

Using a piercing saw I then proceeded to cut each section out.

20140303_105015.jpg

Two sets of petals cut out :) At this stage I am not concerned if they match up exactly, after all I am copying nature and it is very rarely perfect :)

20140303_110307.jpg

Next I mark off how much tube I need for the centre (very roughly done as this will most likely change once the petals are shaped later ) and cut it to size.

20140303_113117.jpg

Next I went round and tidied up the edges with my file, rounding the points slightly so I don't stab myself (again!) later on :)

20140303_111700.jpg

And here is a rough idea of what it will look like when finished :) Next step is to sand the petals to get rid of any scratches, however for that I need some tape and I have just run out.. so off to the shop for me! More pics to follow later...

Rachael x

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Cheers guys :)

I managed to find some tape and have made a start sanding down the petals. I find it helps to stick the piece down on my desk to keep it flat while sanding.

20140303_142833.jpg

The piece on the left has been sanded the other hasn't, not a particulary good pic but the scratches/marks are out and the edges have been rounded off. Luckily not much to do on these pieces as it was a relatively new piece of silver :)

20140303_151311.jpg

And that is all I can do now until the end of the week as I am now away for a few days. I'll update this when I get back to it :)

Thanks for looking,

Rachael x

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Keep going - and talk to Macmillan!

MacMillan as in MacMillan cancer care? Am I missing something? I work for Marie Curie and they have the daffodil as their emblem and are currently doing their daffodil campaign (wear a daffodil badge every day in March to support us) and out fundraisers wear those huge yellow daffodil hats.

Apologies if I have hold of completely the wrong stick, never mind the wrong end of the stick. :)

Great work so far Squishy! Glad you have been inspired.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah you got hold of the right end of the stick - Marie Curie was in my mind - but didn't make it to my typing fingers!

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Hi guys.. finally got round to finishing this off so here are the rest of the pics :)

After sanding both petals, I then hammered them into shape. This also gives a nice texture and will reflect the light more when it is polished.

vuhehu3y.jpg

Once both petals have been hammered I then applied solder to each piece separately before soldering one on top of the other.

3etyrysa.jpg

qabu9u7e.jpg

Each piece needs to be cleaned before the next stage of soldering. I use a slow cooker for this and safety pickle (not the branston type! :) ) The two petals are now stacked up ready to be soldered together.

aje6a9ed.jpg

I pickled the piece again before soldering on the next piece. And then repeated to add the bail on the back which is made from a flattened piece of 2mm round wire bent and soldered together.

u7y6yby7.jpg

qaty3ery.jpg

Once everything is soldered together and pickled for the final time, it then gets a few hours in my tumble polisher and a quick going over with the dremel to get any bits the tumbler missed and finally comes out all shiney looking :)

ura7ebyt.jpg

On most pieces this is how I leave them, bright and shiney.. however the daffodil looked like it needed a bit more, so I decided to darken it up a bit with some liver of sulphur.

yryhaza9.jpg

ezy3y7u6.jpg

It comes out a nice matt grey colour, and then with a polishing cloth and a lot of elbow grease.. finally looks like this :)

anasu4eq.jpg

apyjenu2.jpg

a4yhahut.jpg

It is now in my hallmarking pot and will be going up on my new website when I get round to sorting that out :)

Thanks for looking,

Rachael x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well I think that's a very lovely piece! I love silver anyway but tghat darkening process at the end makes this something special.....................Top stuff, Rachael!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE