making lead shot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
You need a church spire, a bucket with a hole in the bottom full of molten lead, and another bucket full of water doon the bottom of the spire. dribble the molten lead into the bucket from the top of the spire and you will have perfectly rounded lead shot balls.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well I know of one place to get molds, though I'm not sure if you actually buy them from them or not and I don't know where they ship... (big help huh) Lee Precision, Inc.

What I think is the best is .44 cal. lead roundball ammunition (if I remember correctly) because it's small enough to move pretty fast but big enough to cause enough damage to humanely kill small game. I've never used it myself but I hear it's a good choice (from a reliable source).

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
You can get them here:
http://www.dixiegun.com/

And here:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ym33rs45egr0op455ovaq155))/Index.aspx

Both companies are good -- I shoot black powder rifles often and hence buy from these companies. I know the second ships to the UK (not sure about the first.

My very favorite mold -- and the one I use most often -- was made by Larry Callahan, a gifted blacksmith. He doesn't have a web site that I know of, but if you're interested it talking to him, pm me and I'll give you his email address.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
not sure where you get musket ball shot molds, but along the same vein you can get fishing weight molds in all shapes in sizes.

Loads of various sizes from here and they're a UK based supplier. Apparently the best size is .44cal.

Just remember to make them in a well ventilated area :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've made my own moulds using plaster of paris in the same way as you would cast a lead soldier!

I used small glass marbles set half way in a bed of plasticine and smeared with vasaline for the one half - then when it's set turn it over, add more vasaline and pour the plaster in to make the second half. Remember to put in channels for the lead to go in and the air to go out. Wire the two halves together to pour the lead in.

Make sure the plaster is100% dry or you can get steam generated that can blow the mould apart. Wear safety specs etc. etc.

No liability accepted ;)

Cheers,

Broch

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
Common misconception :), rain doesn't fall as tear drops but as wobbley circles.

1-486-raindrops.jpg

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I use steel shot. each time I go to the car breakers I hit open a couple of ball races from the drive shafts thats if bearings are not already on the ground, some use bigger bearings than others but most are ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE