Making Dogbane Cordage

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
This past week my son and I have been walking around our little forest looking for resources. Among our recent discoveries is Hemp Dogbane (aka Indian Hemp). Since we have it all over the place here I figured I'd make a study of it and roll some of my own.

dogbanezebumi5.jpg

The video covers the entire process from identification and harvesting, processing the fibers, to the finished product.

MAKING DOGBANE CORDAGE

Mac

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
That was great - and I like the technique you use too! Thanks for posting.

What's the knife, outta curiosity? :D

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
img3692pn7.jpg

The knife is a traditional Brazilian "Pica-fumo" slip joint made by Zebu of Barretos Sao Paulo. They are very well made, moderately priced, and I have never found a US importer of them. I have no idea if anyone imports them to the UK.

I use them in my videos mainly to drive you all insane because I know that this is the only knife I own that none of you will be able to find. My intention is to generate massive levels of knife envy and then import enough knives to suddenly retire. Come to think of it that's not a bad idea. Is it working? Mac

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Nice edge !

I've always liked sheep's foot blades, and that golok pointed one really looks my kind of thing......thinking about it, its very similar in shape to a re-construction medieval razor (think barber-surgeon ) I once saw (and at about 4 inches its pretty much the right size....Imagine getting a stranger to hold that by your neck :eek: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE