Making baskets out of Tree Needles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can anyone advise on the woody craft of making baskets ( small ) out of long pine needles?

Found a local tree which is ideal to sit under and have a go whilst I do some recovering.

Many thanks.

Reactions: CLEM

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I looked at the thumbnail for that video and thought I'd never have the dexterity for even attempting something that intricate

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know the big fat straws sold for drinking bubble tea ?
Cut one in half and it makes a good holder to shove the needles down into. It holds them easily while you stitch the coils. Lets you add more while you work without ending up in a fankle with lots of lose ones falling out.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You know the big fat straws sold for drinking bubble tea ?
Cut one in half and it makes a good holder to shove the needles down into. It holds them easily while you stitch the coils. Lets you add more while you work without ending up in a fankle with lots of lose ones falling out.

I don't know why I'm surprised that you've ever tried bubble tea...

Reactions: Danqrl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son1 has a Uni friend who lives in HK. They have visted back and forth for twenty years....and Son1 brings home stuff. I think I first had bubble tea about that long ago. It was cassava pearls and green tea.
Now all the stuff here is tapioca and sickly sweet with condensed milk.
I still make my own with green tea and cassava boba.
But the big thick straws are awfully handy for all sorts of things :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Son1 has a Uni friend who lives in HK. They have visted back and forth for twenty years....and Son1 brings home stuff. I think I first had bubble tea about that long ago. It was cassava pearls and green tea.
Now all the stuff here is tapioca and sickly sweet with condensed milk.
I still make my own with green tea and cassava boba.
But the big thick straws are awfully handy for all sorts of things :)

Ha! That's what I'd expect! Only had it once (the commercial sweet version).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE