Making an adzing/chopping block/bench ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Has anyone made a block (or bench) for chopping or adzing by bolting together 5"x5" timbers? I don't have any way of easily getting hold of a suitable stump, but can get to the usual diy places.

Ideally I'd like to make the sort of bench described here:
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/wood-craft-blog/2010/05/03/how-to-carve-wooden-bowls/

But don't really have the space, so I'm more likely to either have a small version or just an upright stump type thing shown in about the 5th picture down.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I want the "BowlMate," the log bench they put together. As there's so much force that comes with swinging an adze, mass matters.
I've built one, 12" x 48" x 4" top, of bolted 4x4. 4x4 legs. 4x4 stop blocks. Not enough. The damn thing walks.
My wedge is a scissor vehicle jack, lying on its side. Being able to walk around it and swing from both sides is good.
I swing past myself with little worry about getting hit in a mis-strike.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

That could be a good solution, a fisher type bowlmate made of a hollow shuttering ply box type structure filled with ballast, with a removable or replaceable cutting block. Thats what I used for my lathe bench (6 bags of 20mm gravel) and it has greatly reduced, in fact all but eliminated unwanted vibrations. Any workholder or bench that is too light and/or flimsy is a waste of time
I have made one of those for hollowing bowls. Believe me the twin wedge (folding wedges) system is the simplest, time honoured and best method to quickly hold the work secure, and release it just as quick when you need to. I get nervous when theres taught straps and come alongs etc...and sharp blades swinging about. What really works for that horizontal clogmakers design is that you simply turn your whole body 180 and you are instantly working the other way, no need to fanny about repositioning the wood. Something like that set at an angle against a wall would be great. The only downside I found was a bit of back strain. I prefer to sit to work LOL being a bit older than many
The 5th picture looks like the work isnt fixed. From what you said, I'd be looking at building up that style from a vertical 5 x 5 to lean against a wall, with a tee piece on the bottom end to rest on the floor to make it stable, morticed and tennoned together preferably, at the very least half lapped. And have a pair of blocks fastened on top of the upright 5 x 5 with a suitable gap between them to give enough space for the work and a pair of folding wedges, or set in sturdy oak or ash pegs to rest the work piece on. pegs are versatile, simple and easy to modify as and when you need to. Here is a video that shows my chopping block and how I use pegs to support the work on my chopping block, gives you the idea even though this is a big piece of willow (end grain willow grips the work really well without it slipping)
https://youtu.be/RiTJY9k0hko

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for that, very interesting, and food for thought. I might add holes for some pegs.

What is the adze you are using for hollowing?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
When I was using the clogmakers bench I was using a henry taylor adze on a longer modified handle, weighed approx 2 pound, so the solidity and weight of the bench was more important. But I sold that adze long ago and nowadays I use elbow adzes exclusively. They are lighter and faster and you are constantly moving the workpiece with the left hand so no need to have the piece immobile in a vice or clamp set up. But my willow block in the video is solid stable and large (20 inch diameter x 20 inch high approx?) with 3 heavy ash legs. The willow grips the work piece well but at the same time doesnt bruise the workpiece either, unless you are carving polystyrene......anyway good luck with your project:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE