Making a wintertrekkingtent out of shelterhalves

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
As you might have read earlier, I am working on some wintertrekkinggear, intended to be used in Scandinavian winters.

The stove that I am building (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84867&highlight=) is one item, a canvastent is another.
I will be working with 4 surplus shelterhalves, because that's what I have at hand. There are 2 good ones and 2 quit beat-up ones.
The good halves I'll try to keep as undamaged as possible, so I can still use them in less cold conditions as a lean-to or even an complete tent. The banged up ones will serve as a source of fabric.
The idea I have is to basically raise a complete tent 40cm of the ground, by adding sidewalls to them. These will be buttoned on, so I can take them off or add them as I see fit.
I also found the cord and groundpegs from a (British) emergencyshelter. These were leftovers, because I used the tarp from this set. The hollow aluminiumpegs with sharpened end seemed ideal for frozen ground.....

I set up the tent in the backyard today to solve some issues I came across;
1) can I erect the whole thing alone?
2) would the pegs really work in frozen ground?
3) how much extra room would I have with the whole thing raised 40cm?
4) would I have enough room for a sleepingplace, the stove, the backpack and firewood?
5) how will the tent handle snow?

Answers;
1) Yes
2) Yes, when hammered in with an axe
3) plenty!
4) Yes
5) I'll know in the morning, as we're expecting 5-10cm snow tonight.

I had some pics taken while setting the tent up;
First button the halves together, then add the tentpoles. The add the guyropes and tighten the lot as good as possible. Then add ropes to the four corners front first, then rear. If you do that you can raise to tent, because the poles will add tentsion to the tent, keeping it up.
DSC06255.jpg

Then adjust and readjust the groundpegs untill everyting is nice and taut.
DSC06263.jpg

I added the stove and a groundsheet to mark the space I need to sleep;
DSC06267.jpg

The tent is so high in the middle that I can sit up straight on my knees and do not touch the top. This leaves room for a rope to hang wet stuff on, like mittens, socks etc...
DSC06268.jpg

All I have to do now is make a 45cm wallsection long enough to go around, add buttons and buttonholes and I'm in business!!
Ohh finish the stove first.... And maybe find me a sled, too..... How about making one??

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... How about making one??

halloween-ghost.gif
Oooh ~ spooky coincidence
halloween-ghost.gif
~ I've been working on an idea involving a pup tent too. I've got a couple of excursions planned for the next month, so I'll put a bit of extra effort in and see if I can roll it out for a play :D .

Edit: Aargh,
transformer-gun.gif
pressed the flaming 'Insert' button
laser-gun.gif
and typed over part of the post :eek: . Anyway, nicely done Ron :cool: .

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Here's what my "tent" looked like in the morning.
Instead of the forecast cm's of snow, it got quite a handfull of wet snow in thawconditions, which froze up quickly afterwards. What was left was a sheet of ice, somewhere between 1-1,5cm thick!
Still think it held out quite good, given the weight;
DSC06270.jpg

DSC06271.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Been working on the sidewalls. Well, actually one wall, which goes all the way around, so no gaps.
It has a total length of 7,6 meters.
Thank God for a large livingroom!
DSC06339.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE