Making a polypore razor strop?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Has anyone made one? I've got a lovelly big lump of Birch Polypore to make into a razor strop, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. I would guess I just take a slice and glue it to a board, but should it be dried first? and what type of glue is recommended? Any tips are welcome.
I also believe the left overs can be processed to make tinder, again any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks.
:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Slice the fungus into thin strips and air dry. They will smolder when lit and can be used as a slow fuse. Also, before the fungus dries, if you cut into the pores, you can peel of the pores in strips and use them like a micropore plaster. It is quite effective as my friend found out last week when it transpired that both of us had forgotten our FAK :nono: and he decided to take a big lump out of his hand with my spoon knife :eek: A bit of birch polypore later and he was sorted, I tied it on with a bit of string I made from some grass!!

He went to the Med Centre when we got home, they doused it in Iodine and he is doing fine now.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Filed away in the dim receses of my mind is the information...the strop bit is the top layer of the mushroom and not just any slice. The dim receses have been known to be wrong now and then so check.... but I've posted quick just in case you're already taking slices! :)

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Cheers folks, it looks like I'll use the top for the strop, and I'll dry the sides and try them for tinder.
Spamel, hope your mate is mending well, I've got some powdered Yarrow prepared for my next little accident, ;) .

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, he's doing OK. He cried like a big wuss when they put the iodine on though!! I wonder if he'll see this thread when he comes on for a lurk!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE