Making a Mushroom Knife: for a BCUK Member!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo,

Short story made as quick as possible. I made a mushroom knife a while back for someone I knew and alot of people liked it. I thought it was cool and didn't really make it to any particular specifications and just forged out a file and used recycled parts for the rest.

Anyway, this is the one I made previously.

JdcdZWD.jpg
rZkqMho.jpg

If I recall rightly it was about.. 3-4mm thick? And was going to be used by the person as a gardening knife type thing. (that bum still hasn't paid lol)

Others said it was likely too thick for mushrooms but good as a general grubbing knife.

Annnnnyyy way. A member here asked for one in return for a trade item. Aiming for one as similar as the original. Buuuut... having got a bunch of old huge saws in, he and I decided the robust 2mm steel of the largest saw (seen below) would be a better option to cut mushies and still be fine as a general grubbing knife.

GntFJpb.jpg

Plenty of good steel and as I will never ever use it and it's huge taking up space in my tiny home it was a good idea imo. I have file tested the a steel on the teeth and the spne, it seems to be as equally hard, so no need to re heatreat it.

I started today with antler provided by the member!? Such a generous guy I might add, although I won't name drop unless he is comfortable with that. Anyway, a bunch of handsome red deer tines for the handle and a two blades roughed out and squared up for an idea on what the perfect blade shape is for the guy. I'll continue to make more if these aren't good enough or quite right. I also haven't added the grind in oir cleaned the steel. Options are.. one sided chisel type grind for pull cuts, or double edged and convexed for a mroe general purpose. Up to him! Also, I'll be using brass plate as a bolster and brass or copper pins. :)

Here's where I'm at..

gkhU7T7.jpg
QOVn8E9.jpg
E6Ar07P.jpg

And a sorta picture of how they will look when assembled. Minus the brass bolster and pins.. yeah. :rolleyes:

N5YGlIb.jpg

Now! it's up to the recipitent of the knife to decide weither the blades are the right shape, length and what grind.. annnd what finish for thr steel. I can either acid wash the rust off and polish it as shiny as I can, or just polish the edge and leave it looking a little more rustic and true to the steel by removing only the grubby rust.

Stay tuned for more! ;)

Thanks for reading,

Samon

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
They're magnificent. I'd always go with a pair = left and right, single bevels.
Then, you can turn each one of them around, in the other hand, and push on the blunt spine of the blade.
Can you buy a commercial 'shroom knife? What shape are they?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nice, really nice!

Leave it rustic.

Yes, you can buy a commercial 'shroom knife. Morakniv make one. Short straight blade, a brush on the handle.
Scabbard is of an open design so the dirt falls off the blade when it dries.

But those look nicer. Not sure about the length and curve though.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Cheers boys!

If it's dry tomorrow I'll make a few more longer and straighter blades from the same steel. In all honesty I forgot what the old one looked like lol. I knew it has a curve but mind wiped the rest. Now I've re-seen my own pictures I'll do a paper trace of my computer screen and have a look at commercial shroom knives.

Regarding commerical shroom knives, there are Mora, Opinel and even Rough Rider options. Plus many others of course. But all seem to have far less curve than all of my designs.. to be honest I don't think you need any curve to cut a mushroom, just thin and sharp. However these are also strong enough to be used to take cuttings from bushes, trees aswell as ripping throigh bramble bush base stems.

With the rest of the it, well.. I see dozens of different kitchen, outdoor and craft related blades hidden amongst it's neighbouring steel. ;)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Its not really a mushroom knife, though i would certainly cut me some 'shrooms with it
to me its just a general gathering knife that can do a good bit of other work too

Just ironing out some blade shape details with samon and he'll do his thing with the rest of it

Many thanks for making me the knife mate and for your patience with my end of the trade :lmao:

(Honestly lads i put the bloke through the single most PITA trade i'd ever done online, he's a good 'un)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Its not really a mushroom knife, though i would certainly cut me some 'shrooms with it
to me its just a general gathering knife that can do a good bit of other work too

Just ironing out some blade shape details with samon and he'll do his thing with the rest of it

Many thanks for making me the knife mate and for your patience with my end of the trade :lmao:

(Honestly lads i put the bloke through the single most PITA trade i'd ever done online, he's a good 'un)

You've clearly never traded with HillBill aka Mark Hill lol. About 5 years waiting for my knife blade..

Just drawing up some longer blades that match what Sunndog wants, gona check it with a few others and send some pictures later when I have time. Then it's wait for the weather and cut some fresh ones up! :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Oh my! it's been far too long sicne I started this and to no fault of sunndog, all me and my annoying health lol.

Anyway, I had to make a fresh blank as to get the shape just right and today finally managed to drill out the anter for the tang, soften the tang to drill for a pin, drill the antler for that pin, drilled and filed out the brass bolster centre for the tang to be as precise as possible (biggest pita ever, took hours lol).

Mock fitted before I put the edge on and get the epoxy ready. Then I'll grind the bolster flush to the antler, polish the brass, the edge and general final touches.

kJjfczo.jpg
R3xFjvo.jpg

Like I said, this has taken way longer than it should have but unforseen/semi expected health issues have come into play. Oh and the god damned weather! lol my kitchen has been a faux workshop today as it's wet outside and has been nearly every day since summer.. joys of England, tiny home, no garden space and deadlines! ;)

Anyway, Sunndog I hope you see this and know I haven't forgtten you bud. It'll be done soon. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Cheers chaps. :)

I will clean and wax the antler but nothing more. I'm not really sure what else can be done? I could polish and buff it but that won't really match the steels surface with it being so 'untouched for God knows how many years' lol.

As I can't control my health, weather and when both strike.. my power tools (typical right?) I do intend on staying focused by knocking up a carry pouch type sheath during the late nights as it's doable unless I'm absolutely manic. I don't think a belt sheath would suit this knife, but a pocket carried sheath would.

I have some random bundles of leather from various salvaged sources so I'll look later and do some head scratching.

And ask away mate, I've only recently starting going online again. Feels good to be engaged!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Edge has been ground in, kept cool with water and finished on a 1000 grit belt. Cleaned, check fitted and find glued, pined and left to dry over night.

WZOSPY4.jpg
mtIj1nm.jpg

Tomorrow I'll saw off the excess bolster, grind it back and sharpen and polish the edge and brass aswell as peen and polish the retaining pin and clean the antler. Then I'll knock up a dandy sheath.

Thanks for reading. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Can't say I'd wear a claw shape blade around my neck in a hurry! Lol

Intact, any knife around my neck feels stupid and in the way. Also a neck sheath will require alot of work to keep it solidly in place, usually with wet forming the leather and as the knife is slender and small that wouldn't be particularly easy or practical for me.

My leather skills are..limited? But functional.

I'm thinking a single folded piece with a welt stitched in and mildly wet formed will be adequate. I'll need to find the right thickness of leather or it'll be like folding a belt perfectly round a needle.

I'll figure it out.. hopefully without injuring myself in a fit of rage lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE