Making a children's backpack out of a gasmaskbag

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Next to my leather possiblespouch I am working on a backpack for my (almost) 5 year old daughter.

For that I am using a French gasmaskbag, which I was fortunate to obtain through the Gift-it-on-thread here.

The bag (stockpicture from the net)
french_gm_bag_sml_02.jpg

First I took of the carryingsystem and the velcro (I hate that stuff!)
01voor.jpg

01achter.jpg

The great thing of this bag, is that it's small enough to fit on a young child's back, has several smaller compartmetns and a rigid bottom, so it keeps it's shape and can be set on the floor.

01interieur.jpg

Now "all" I have to do, is make a new, leather carryingsystem for it and add straps for closing the pockets, too.....

easy.... right??

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That's interesting. I can recall when I was a child using a WWII Vickers gun leather "box" carried over the shoulder with a soft leather strap as my outdoor pouch. How do I know it was a WWII Vickers gun ammo box? well that is because these things are exceedingly durable and I just reached it out to check where it came from :) Later on I found a standard WWII gas mask pouch to be ideal for carrying my photo equipment on my cycling trips, I still have a few of them around as well.

When you think about all this obsession with kit, that I would venture out with nothing more than a small case, with camera (or binoculars), sandwich pack and plastic mac. Oh and I forgot the 6 inch Bowie on my belt.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Great idea, my boys use these for their nik naks and toys when we go camping. My 5 year old uses his in rucksack style, I just rethreaded the sling to create arm straps. Looking forward to seeing your upgrade.

Cheers

JFW

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I am looking forward to seeing it getting done, too and so does my daughter! :D

@JFW; I tried that too, but we weren't happy about the place the metal fittings ended up. That was precisely on the joint between arms and breast or slightly higher. This would be very uncomfortable and probably would leave pressurmarks on the little ones' shoulders, too.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I can't wait to see what you're going to do with this Ron. I'm glad the pack is being put to good use - I kept my hand drills in it for the last couple of years.

Magentus

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The leather straps are done, too.
All I need to do, is put it all together.

1riemen1.jpg

The darker pieces have been recycled/rescued from a KIA purse...
1riemen2.jpg

Here's an idea of how I am planning to fasten the straps;
1rugzak.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
And it is finished... done.... completed!!

naamloos8.jpg

naamloos10.jpg

naamloos9.jpg

The bottom was a real pain in the a**.... I mean fingers.
Because I had to stitch it to the sidepouch's bottom and because these are so narrow you can barely move you hand in it, let along use a needle to locate holes, which you even can't see!

naamloos11.jpg

naamloos13.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks for the compliments, gents!

The idea wasn't that brilliant, however. I have to fight her everyday now in order to get her out of it again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE