Makers stamp for burning into wood (part of historic recriation project)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I tried electro etching, but it looked like it was going take all eternity to take off enough material. Using the etched image as a guide, I took out material with a tiny drill bit in my baby mill

I'll give it a go. :)

Is the tool a sensible size for you?

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've done a Mark 2. 8mm round brass bar.

Right of the pencil line is the initial shape, a few little tweaks and the images to the left are the result

BItrial2.jpg

Tried it on leather. Sorry about the state of the axe. A week in the hands of my Scouts and I haven't gotten round to cleaning it up.

BImask.jpg

And a close up of the image in wood. It has worked out at 7mm by 5mm

BItrial4.jpg

It's been a while since I resorted to using a magnifying glass.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Looks like you are sorted but I can add to the recommendation for M Shaw. Works in Portland works the old cutlery building in Sheffield where Stu Mitchel has his workshop. He made me a Mary Rose brand 15 years ago which is still as good as new and cost a fraction of what I expected.

The Oseberg project looks very interesting, do you have photos to share? Where is construction taking place, do they need more volunteers? I think hewing one of the planks on a project like that would be a wonderful thing to do.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
The project is being undertaken in tonsburg, oslo fjord down at the end of their pier and is in an open area to encourage people to engage with it - as it is going to be there ship once completed. It is possible to volunter although rather than posting details here - if people are interested then there are contact detials on the website or you could PM me for further info. Obviously there is a pay of between enthusiastic helpers and geting on with the work (although i suspect youd be quite handy wirh the axe robin), although tuesday nights is volunter night where we normally wil split something down and posibly rough out a shape. Pics - i must sort somethig out at the mo they are on my face book and unless ur a 'friend' wont be visable.
Also thanks for the info regarding stamp maker always god to have more info than less!
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE