Magpie call ???

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Im looking for a CD or a site that i can download an MP3 file of a magpie chattering.
Cheers
rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Downloaded it but my MP3 player wont paly it ???
Too short really, im looking for a couple of minutes of chattering.
rb

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
RB,
A good impersonation can be make with a box of matches and a lollipop stick. About a dozen matches in the box and the stick pushed up the back of the box inside the sleeve - and shake! If there are magpies in earshot, and you get the tempo right, they should answer straight back. ;)
Depending on your requirement, it might be worth a try.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Electronic Judas bird is right.
I was looking at an electronic call yesterday and my phone has an MP3 player so i thought it would be worth a try if i can get a good recording.
The maggies are out of control around here, i was watching about 30 of them in a field last week and the garden birds are taking a real hammering,

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Go Lawrence!!!!!!!

I believe everything has a right to live but these horrible little Corvids are way out of control round here too. They've robbed several nests that I know of - emptied our Moorhens nest three times last year.

I find an injection of 17HMR solves the problem. I agree with Ogris tip mind you. That weird rattle can be imitated with matches!

Red

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
:lmao: was shooting a .17HMR last week , fantastic but it's too loud for what i want so i ordered another .22RF so i can use subs and a can.
Just spent the afternoon setting up a little hide in the field behind my house and getting my little AA S410 set up to tackle the :tapedshut
I have tried the matchbox before with mixed results but the electronic call drives them nuts.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah - get Roger Francis to make you one with a fully supressed barrel :lmao:

www.rimfiremagic.co.uk

The best rimfire technician in the world - the 10/22 he made for me groups .318 MOA @ 100 yards :eek: . Now all I need is the talent to shoot that well :eek:

Red

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Im just giving up my 10/22 after years of tinkering, i bought a few bit's n pieces from Roger over the years.
Loads of fun but i fancy a bolt gun for a change.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A keeper mate of mine told me how he used to trap magies when the numbers got out of hand,
Build an 8 foot circle using chicken wire and fencing stakes, tie a ladder across the middle of the circle on top of the wire, then use more wire to go from the sides of the ladder to the sides of the circle.
Bait the inside with eggs, dead rabbits and shiney things and leave over night.
He said the maggies curiosity gets the better of them - they fly around it, eventually landing on the rungs of the ladder, and drop down to eat or steal the shiney things. But when they try to fly out, their wingspan is greater than the space between the ladder rungs so get trapped inside. You can then deal with them in a confined space by whatever means suits - though he did say to wear goggles if you tried to get in the trap as they tend to go for your eyes once they hit frenzy pitch.

Good luck RB, they're wiley creatures.

Ogri the trog

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must admit, I've never likes subs from a semi - always ger cycle problems! Can't see a sub .17 being any good - not enough ft lbs and all that...what did you go for ...Anshutz?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE