Magnums, pros and cons ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I went looking for new hiking boots yesterday, and in the sale rack was a pair of little size 4 Magnums......with zips even :)
Nothing else fitted comfortably, but I tried on the magnums and though v.roomy (heavy socks will fix that) they were like putting on foot gloves :D

Anyway, I bought them, but now I'm wondering, pros and cons ? and what best to use on the leather that won't compromise the fabric bits.

Sitting here feeling like I've field walked a clay field and have two inches stuck to me boots :rolleyes: but still incredibly comfortable :D

cheers,
Toddy

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Good boots, very sturdy and well made for the price point. Training partner is a Prison Officer, and they use them, as they are still comfy after 12 hours on the platforms.

Out in the field, the leather can get soak through after quite a bit of exposure, but any treatment cream sorts that, and he had no more issues after that.

The pair I have get a lot of summer weather use, for winter I use Brashers.

All in, I like them.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Toddy,

Magnums are my go to boots for any wet/muddy conditions, i prefer them over wellies as they offer great support and as you said they are very comfy.

I have had my current pair about 4 years and have never treated them to anything more than wipe with a damp cloth and the occasional bit of polish (bog standard kiwi parade gloss).

Did you get the all leather or leather/synthetic ones? I have the all leather as they tend to be much more waterproof in my experience.

The only problem i find with them is they are a bit on the warm side for good weather (late spring/summer) but i also have a pair of their desert boots too which i normally break out in the hot weather.

All in all, and just my humble opinion, they are great boots for the money and will serve you well for many years to come with minimal maintenance.

Cheers, Hamster

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good :D

It's a leather and fabric pair, with the side zips so I don't need to redo the laces every time I put them on.
They're very warm though, but minding I usually wander around bare footed I thought that might be why.

I blister so easily that boots are a real pain usually; I'm quietly hopeful on these :D
Easy care, easy to use, will suit me fine :approve: and if they're long lasting so much the better :)

cheers,
Toddy

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I've gone through 3 sets of magnums after about a year they tend to give up and dont offer any sole support, they start to hurt my heel and ache my feet. But for the cost they are pretty competative even if a new pair is needed every 12 months

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love my Magnums!
I have tried nearly every option/model they have produced and not found a bad one yet as far as comfort is concerned ... though I steer clear of zipped boots as I have had some zips (in various manufacturers boots) fail while the boots were still going strong...
Amazons are my summer boots of preference - but they have stopped making them now :(

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
After having use of several types of boot, I found that magnum boots are a bit on the easily damaged side. search for a pair of German Mountain boots these are of outstanding value. Real good bit of kit.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I has a pair of "enforcer public duty" which I loved, right up to the point when the "leather" all delaminated and the millimeter thin outer waterproof layer had zero strength so they were useless for any more rescue/extrication work :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
After having use of several types of boot, I found that magnum boots are a bit on the easily damaged side. search for a pair of German Mountain boots these are of outstanding value. Real good bit of kit.

Yeah, but, are they comfortable, come in small sizes, don't cost a fortune, and aren't so heavy that I'm knackered walking in them ? I tried on 14 pairs of boots yesterday. Only one pair was comfortable right off.
How damaged do you mean on the magnums ? Scuffed's not an issue, while soles peeling off would be.

cheers,
Toddy

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i have had a pair of magnum elite11 for over 3 years and i use them for hunting and airsofting and they are very good boots and very comfortable from the off.
i dont use them for walking/rambling of any distance over say 10 miles as the very flexible soft soles bruise the soles of my feet and make my toes ache over rough ground.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've gone through 3 sets of magnums after about a year they tend to give up and dont offer any sole support, they start to hurt my heel and ache my feet. But for the cost they are pretty competative even if a new pair is needed every 12 months

Just a tip; if the sole support is your only problem then the insoles are pretty easy and cheap to replace.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When we were issued Magnums mine lasted about 2 years. That's 2 years on rough concrete flightlines, climbing or scuffing on sharp aircraft surfaces, and hunting/hiking through brambles and mud. As far as what to use on the leather that won't effect the fabric, I just used ordinary shoe polish. Mine were NOT zips though and I suspect there will be absolutey NO water resistance through the zips.

Last edited:

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I did try to replace with a normal off the shelf insole but it didnt really work, i've gone onto two different pairs of Lowa's which are doing a cracking job, but still have the magnums for mowing the lawn jobs :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I did try to replace with a normal off the shelf insole but it didnt really work, i've gone onto two different pairs of Lowa's which are doing a cracking job, but still have the magnums for mowing the lawn jobs :)

LOL. Fair enough. I usually use a moldable insole from the Military Clothing Sales Store on base. It's a bit more sexpensive at about $24 but when you heat it in the oven to araound 135F it moilds to your foot. They're available on the civvie market also here but they're a bit more expensive there (and subject to tax) Most civilian sales here tend to be the gel soles now (haven't tried those myself though so I've no idea if they're any good or not)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have to wear Orthotics to correct knee damage - they give great support :)
Not cheap at £60 a pair though (custom builds!)

Ouch. I had knee surgery a few years ago myself and sometimes (rarely, thanfully) I still have to wear a knee brace. Not sure what the brace cost as thanfully it was covered by my Tricare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE