Magnetic North

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have read that the magnetic north and true north are to to line up, in the UK, for the first some in some 360 years.
So for the first time in 360 years I will be able to go out for a walk without getting lost. Another point, when are they going to sort out this Land Mass rising thing after the ice age. We have a very nice High Street where I live but some of the other streets are definitely up hill from it. Must have been quite a bit of movement since the Victorian times!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Scandinavia and Finland are getting larger each year for the same reason. Several square kilometers per country each year.
I think that northern Sweden has risen around 250 meters since the ice cover vanished 10 millennia ago.
I am happy that UK has the same land rise.

One day the Channel will disappear and you will at last become true Europeans!
:)

When the poles flip, what is supposed to happen?

I guess it will confuse some migrating birds.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
But Janne the south is sinking at the same time. A kind of seesaw motion.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
We are dooomed! ... all dooomed.! Dig your holes now! :) :) :)
I posted about this the other day. Hopefully if the poles flip just a bit and not a complete reversal we might end up in the tropics! The south pole will be in South America....... and we will loose the rain forest completely........ Whoops! Maybe not such a great idea.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
From the miriad flips of the magnetic field, it will be somebody else's problem.
The geological record shows several things:
1. The flip takes thousands of years to accomplish.
2. There's never any correlation with any observable extinction event.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
There can only be benefits to global warming in such places then.
Yes.
The land rebound has caused problems for harbours.

I recall a tv interview with an Greenlander, some years back, where the British reporter tried hard to make the Greenlander to say how bad global warming would be.
The Greenlander said several times how th3ir life would improve, how th3y could start growing crops, things like that.
It was interesting.

Reactions: petrochemicals

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Climate change affect the plates. Ie melting ice lifts weight from a land mass so it moves. It's all interconnected. I could give a long lecture here about how it all works but I wont as I'm busy today!.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Land is rising in mid western Canada as the pressure from a mile of ice/last ice age melted away.
Each spring, we had to jack up parts of the family summer house to get the damn doors
to open and close as the land could heave 4" or more in a year.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is a result of Climate change.
We are still in the Ice Age, as there are still areas covered by ice year round. Earth is still in the warming era, and will do so for many more millennia, then it will slowly cool off and head towards a new Ice Age.

It might go faster, and last longer, if the current Climate Change theory is correct.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Many glaciers are the persistent result of altitude, not climate changes or stagnations.
Best guesses are that there was a kilometer of ice over my district which melted back.
Fom my windows, it's easy to see that up another 5,000', it's a damn sight colder than on my doorstep.
I can believe that what I see are the ancient ice cores from 10,000 years ago.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plates don’t float in the sense that they get lighter and rise. Rather they rise when two plates collide together. At least that’s what I was always taught.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Wouldn’t land rising be from tectonic movement rather than climate change?
Yep land rises due to tectonics, sea rises due to universisaly accepted fact that the climate is warming, equalling tide maximim reaching the same place on the harbour wall., think of it this way a lot of siberia will become habitable! Still far to many people though.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The weight of the ice, several kilometers thick, not only pressed down the plates into the semi liquid magma, it also (in some places) crushed/cracked the underlaying rock layer.

Paleolithic remains ( up to 10 000 years old) which used to be on the northern Baltic coast are in some areas several kilometers inland.
Birka, the most important trading town in Scandinavia, lost out to what became Stockholm due to the waterways becoming to shallow and in some cases total disappearance.

Check out ‘post glacial rebound’

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The weight of the ice, several kilometers thick, not only pressed down the plates into the semi liquid magma, it also (in some places) crushed/cracked the underlaying rock layer......’
As best I remember the weight of glacial ice on a tectonic plate is as minuscule as the weight of an ice chest on cruise ship.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE