Made me a simple leather apron, tips on what to treat it with?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello found a big piece of leather at the local second hand shop and today I cut and sew a leather apron from it. It is a very simple design but I'm happy with it. Will use it when I carve wood or perhaps at the bbq :). Any tips on what I should treat the leather with to make it more soft? The leather is about 2-2.5mm thick.
2h51ngl.jpg

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Lovely looking apron. I'd be tempted to cut it a little shorter though personally.

I tend to go with boiled linseed oil for everything these days.

All the best
Andy

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
You were lucky to find that!
Hydrophane is a good light softening oil which is non greasy so you could use it on both sides and not get any residue on your clothes.
Saddle soap is good too.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks remember now I have a batch of 2/3 beeswax and 1/3 raw linseed oil I made a couple of years ago. Gonna try that on some small piece. And the apron is very long because it is easier to make it shorter then longer :). I know I have some leather oil but forgot where it is!

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
I sure wish I could have found a sheet of leather that big! I had to buy an apron for my blacksmithing, but it's a good apron and I'm happy with it.

To soften the leather, a lot depends on what type of leather it is. Generally, mink oil, neatsfoot oil or tung oil will all do the job to one degree or another. I would stay away from linseed oil because it actually hardens up after awhile. That's why it's been used as a wood finish for so many years.

The leather will tend to soften with wearing, but it never hurts to give it a helping hand. The key is to manipulate the hide so that the oil moves completely through the fibers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE