Made a sewing clamp for the missus and myself

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I havent done much making recently, but my other half has been getting into making more stuff, and particularly handbags upcycled out of charity/thrift store stuff. She also had some thin-ish leather she had bought at a reasonable price. So she came to the point where she was running out of hands quite regularly, and I suggested a sewing clamp / pony.

Only problem was the price, so I ended making one:

31724849666_68ba05feb5_z.jpg

31389900910_da8aab421e_z.jpg

31389900870_7595103de0_z.jpg

All made up out of pieces of wood that were already in the shed: decking board, fencepost and offcuts of elm. The clamp faces are lined with veg tan leather, and the whole thing is just a sanded finish, so there can be no transfer of oils/waxes etc to any workpiece. Quite a lot cheaper, and seems to work fine :)

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
A nice simple approach, I like that a lot, when I do get around to trying some leather works I'm pinching your design, sorry and thanks :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice work! Anything you make for yourself is bound to be better than anything you buy, irrespective of the reason for making it in the first place.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Thanks for the comments All. Its much more satisfying to use something that you have made and designed yourself. Much cheaper too :)

Mac, I have never actually used decking boards for their intended function. However they can be very useful given sufficient consideration and selection. The true hardwood ones, e.g from ipe, can be very versatile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE