Machete (sort of thing)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You could....but Bam is right :lmao:

Mild steel will work harden somewhat if you beat on it enough. But you will still only have a fairly weak blade that won't hold its edge, or retain its shape as well as something made of steel with a higher carbon content.

With cheap machetes at the prices they are, why do you want to make one out of inferior steel? Is it for the interest of making, or because you want to save money?

What sort of size machete did you want, what did you want to use it on?

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
It is in the interest of making. I was just wondering if it would be possible as i have alot of mild steel lying around.

I worked out how much it would be to buy enough o1 toolsteel to make one. And as you say it is far from expensive.

I was looking at something with about an 18" as it seems like quite a common length being used. I would probably only use it for limbing and felling of small trees. Similar use to the Gransfors bruks Small Forest Axe.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I read somewhere on bladeforums that O1 wasn't very suitable for big knives. A lot of people over there recommends 5160. I agree this is a superb steel.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
5160 , I belive that is the same as used for car springs . Any breaker will have loads of them and i recomend a leaf spring . Anneal it first , then thin it out with your hammer to get the thickness right (and lose some of the weight) then grind to shape and heat treat .
British Blades will have more specifics on the subject .
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE