M65 jacket advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys. I used to had a genuine M65 and loved it. So looking for another one in green. Ideally new and as close to the genuine as possible.
I heard Helicon is a decent alternative but there are differences like missing velcro name patch. So is there a way to get the genuine one, and if not what is the best equivalent.
Another question about size. Everything I wear is size XXL and sometimes even that size is to small on my back. I'm exactly 44" chest which falls exactly between Helicon XL and XXL. Every website and ebay listing advises to go one size down which would mean XL in my case. What do you think?

Any advice is very welcome.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I don't think much of Helicon personally. The quality just hasn't been there for me.

Anyway I own 3 Alpha Industries M65 jackets in Black, Sand and Olive. The sizing on these is notoriously difficult and made trickier because Alpha Jackets sold in Europe are a size smaller that those sold in the USA.

The cut is big in the M65 anyway so you will probably want to go down a size anyway unless you want copious layers on underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up BigMonster,

You might pick up a genuine one from a collectors site (if they are willing to part!) or try Etsy (noticed lots of stuff from the US there).

Failing that, have you looked at Austrian military surplus, they used an M65 type (polycotton and a breathable version).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I don't think much of Helicon personally. The quality just hasn't been there for me.

Anyway I own 3 Alpha Industries M65 jackets in Black, Sand and Olive. The sizing on these is notoriously difficult and made trickier because Alpha Jackets sold in Europe are a size smaller that those sold in the USA.

The cut is big in the M65 anyway so you will probably want to go down a size anyway unless you want copious layers on underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the above in spades; I've had three of their Alpha Industries M65 jackets and they've been incredibly hard wearing and one of the most comfortable items of clothing I've ever worn :)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
So Alpha Industries is a good option. Anybody heard about this brand? Quite a few on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SURPLUS-M...hash=item568d753098:m:m3jPag4_YoYRM-n38WoyEgg
I have one, and it's a good jacket. It's not waterproof unless you proof it yourself.

The removable liner is handy and all the stitching is very good as are the zips.
The hood (concealed in the collar) is OK but no wired peak and not waterproof .

It's a pretty bomb-proof coat but I dont remember it costing so much.
I think I paid £40 for mine about 2 years ago.
It's my winter coat, and I've covered it in fabsil.
It's a very warm coat.
Hope it helps

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Alpha Industries was one of the prime contractors selling the M65 (and other military jackets) to the US military. There jackets aren't close to the original, they are the originals. By the way, the original and all subsequent genuine issue ones are without any velcro for name tags. That would have been added by individual military units after issue (usually only special forces units that might need to sterilize the uniform)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
5.11 do a M65 jacket which is good but not as warm as the traditional ones.

Most of the warmth comes from the liner. If you like your 5.11 there's no reason you couldn't put an Alpha liner in it (assuming the 5.11 is made from the same pattern and the buttons line up correctly)

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've had both knock offs and a couple of Alpha's... the Alphas's are great, mine is now 11 years old and hardly looks worn. I can definitely recommend them and the button in lining too.. Propper also does a very nice version if you can find them, but with a chunky plastic zip rather than the metal one. And yes they are rather on the large size....
Cheers
Gareth

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all, apologies for hijacking this thread but wondered whether the m65 jacket was something that could be used all year round as an outer jacket in the UK? I'm currently looking about for a new waterproof jacket (for everyday use, not just bushcrafty camping stuff!) and have been looking at the usual offerings from Berghaus and North face. I'd love instead though to get a jacket that is made of more natural fabrics rather than the technical fabrics found in the high st outdoorsy shops. The Alpha M65 looks great and has peaked my interest as it's kind of in the price range that I've been looking at. I gather it's not fully waterproof but presume a waxing treatment or fabsil will help?

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Hi all, apologies for hijacking this thread but wondered whether the m65 jacket was something that could be used all year round as an outer jacket in the UK? I'm currently looking about for a new waterproof jacket (for everyday use, not just bushcrafty camping stuff!) and have been looking at the usual offerings from Berghaus and North face. I'd love instead though to get a jacket that is made of more natural fabrics rather than the technical fabrics found in the high st outdoorsy shops. The Alpha M65 looks great and has peaked my interest as it's kind of in the price range that I've been looking at. I gather it's not fully waterproof but presume a waxing treatment or fabsil will help?

Funny you ask this, I was in an army surplus store just the other side of the Dartford crossing to you today and they had the Austrian Goretex version of the M65 for £25. I actually picked up a nice Dutch Navy parka from them, water proof, very warm and brand new for £45

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Its a nylon/cotton mix - hardwearing but not especially warm (hence the liner) - I've got a similar dutch jacket (BTW - ring Endicotts and ask what they've got - Kev's got lots of bits that are not on the website, and I can certainly recommend the Dutch field jacket - cracking value for about £25).
If you want natural waterproofing, then waxed cotton or Paramo is more your thing, but the M65 is not designed to be waterproof, and is a waste of time/money trying.

If your after a new waterproof, I can recommend the berghaus Suilven http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus-mens-suilven-jacket-ia-a1113281?id_colour=4524, which bough about 18 months ago for £179. Available now at about £140 only in small, its basically the Cornice II/III, but with extra patch pockets. The Cornice II or III at that price are only in S or XXL, but Gaynors have it at £129 http://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/all...roductsearch&gclid=CKbW4fGgkNACFUW4GwodJk8Pxg

I'm a 38-40 chest, and with an extra 200-300 fleece its still ok in a medium.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi all, apologies for hijacking this thread but wondered whether the m65 jacket was something that could be used all year round as an outer jacket in the UK? I'm currently looking about for a new waterproof jacket (for everyday use, not just bushcrafty camping stuff!)......

Its a nylon/cotton mix - hardwearing but not especially warm (hence the liner)..........

........but the M65 is not designed to be waterproof, and is a waste of time/money trying.......

I might have misunderstood the question but I thought Barney was asking if it would work in the milder summer months? If so, the fact that it's not particularly warm without the liner would be a plus. That was the way we always wore them; as an outer garment to cut the wind and give slight insulation. For real deep cold you needed the liner and/or thermal underwear under it.

You're absolutely correct that it's not waterproof. Water resistant, yes. Waterproof, no. It'll stand up to most showers but not a real thunder bumper.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks all for the advice. Will probably give it a miss then. Am basically looking for a waterproof jacket for year round use. Have been using the technical style of jackets but find they wear out quite quick (I'll use or carry this jacket pretty much everyday) and am looking for something that might be a bit more hard wearing.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
One more from me. Any more opinions on the helikon tex m 65? I would love the alpha industries but £110 is really killing me especially if you think about buying the liner. How would you compare the quality in relation to almost 3 times the price? And it the Helicon tex polyco fabric an update or money save compared to the real thing.

It will be my every day/travel/EDC/do it all jacket (I have fancy stuff for mountain/winter). Any opinions and thoughts very appriciated before I pull the trigger.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
One more from me. Any more opinions on the helikon tex m 65? I would love the alpha industries but £110 is really killing me especially if you think about buying the liner. How would you compare the quality in relation to almost 3 times the price? And it the Helicon tex polyco fabric an update or money save compared to the real thing.

It will be my every day/travel/EDC/do it all jacket (I have fancy stuff for mountain/winter). Any opinions and thoughts very appriciated before I pull the trigger.

3x the price, 30x the quality.............You pays your money and takes your choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE