Luxe mini peak

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I have a trip planned by a mate this friday to Cadair Idris for a lazy mooch and camp,i am desperate to try out my new Luxe mini peak tent but the one thing that concerns me is if i can't find any soft ground to peg out the corners of my tent the whole stability will be compromised and i will be waving goodbye to my tent without having any fun from it,would i be better off taking my tiger paws tent which i know is made of pretty stern stuff.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
How strange!!
I have just been looking on another forum about the Mini peak as it looks a quality tent!!
Im desperate to get one myself!!
Be great to no how you get on!
As for your trip, I think its highly unlikely you will struggle to get your pegs in mate, the groun is very moist all over Britain at the mo, and you can always make pegs etc that will take a bit of welly while your out, or simply take the hit on the extra weight and take some rock pegs etc!!
Enjoy your trip
Steve

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
02184268-d990-26b8.jpg

tip tap tapping away

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Very impressed with the tent,in a sheltered garden on a flat surface it looks the biz,will see how it performs on the hill this weekend,i am taking a lightweight bivi as a backup

tip tap tapping away

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't worry too much about finding a perfect pitch, the single pole design and pegged out fly will let you pitch over all sorts of stuff, rocks, small bushes, heather etc

As long as you can find a flat area big enough to lie on you'll be fine.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
My second nights campsite,managed to tie paracord around some fairly heavy rocks and then bury them provided a super stable tent:)

tip tap tapping away

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I left the nest at home and used a goundsheet from a Tesco value dome tent and a Trekmates bivi,the groundsheet was a perfect fit at 200cm by 150cm

tip tap tapping away

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Oh yes,Friday night got pretty windy on a lower slope and because we set up late i only pegged out the corners and two sides and did not bother with the guylines,the tent faired brilliantly i got a few drops of water on me but that was from strong rain blowing into vents

tip tap tapping away

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Ben,
I have put the luxe mini peak on my birthday list, what are your honest opinion of them?
I have foun a place that will do a 3/4 bath lightweight silnylon bath tub ground sheet for it for £70.
But I too have thought about using a sig from an old tent and making my own ground sheet.
Can I ask why you used a bivy and the shelter? I read that you got a few drops of water on you but was that with the top vents open or closed?
Pics are quality matey
cheers
Steve

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Hi jacko,
The reason i made up a goundsheet to cover 3/4 of the floor is that if the weather turned bad both me and my mate could sit and chill,i haven't even tried the original nest yet but it doesn't always get rave reviews,i have seen a full floor goundsheet on the luxe website,i took the bivi as a thermal layer and to protect against wind and the odd splash.All in all i can't rate this tent highly enough,super roomy super light and super stable

tip tap tapping away

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Don't you find the entrance a problem in heavy rain?

From the pics it looks like unzipping it exposes a lot of the floor area to rainfall.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Was not a problem for me as the first bit of the floor space was just the bare ground as my groundsheet covers 3/4 of the floor

tip tap tapping away

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE