Lure fishing for [Sea] Bass?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've been getting together a proper lure fishing outfit, some japanese crystal minnows and shallow divers, poppers and sliders, chug bugs, soft plastics, red gill eels and so on. For fishing from the shore.

Anyone else do this?

[Im pretty good with a fly rod but haven't caught a fish in the sea since I was ten :eek:]

Im waiting for the sea to warm up a bit, 10-12 degrees, then Im gonna head to the west coast, and spend a few days rock hopping.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yep, I've done a bit of fishing for the last couple of summers and have ended up with quite a few different types of lures, I've actually managed a few bass too! Even though bass will swim right in the beaches I fish tend to be very shallow so I tend to prefer a lure with a bit of weight to it and a good profile to aid casting, like the slim metal eel type lures.

I must admit I had most fun last year with a light spinning rod, reel and small lead lure catching mackerel and my best bass was caught using a light rig on bass rod with a peeler crab at the end of may.

Hopefully a few more bass this year and the sea warms faster than last spring.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
poppers in thesurf are fun for thebass too.i make my own lures,you should try it,great when you get a fish ona home made lure.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Never had any luck with lures for bass. Had a few samll ones with peeler crab, but my only double-figure one (14.5lbs) off Padstow beach at night on dead sand-eel.

welshwoodsman

Jan 14, 2006
llanelli
I caught a lovely bass from kayak last Tuesday evening using a lure. White sidewinder.
b95454e994c59d5c9b9c25e3c880b73f_zps04648728.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
These (Gotcha Plugs in various colors) are pretty effective for Spanish Mackerel, Hard Tails, and occasionally for Speckled Sea Trout

Bubble Rigs are good for Cobia. The actual "lure" part is the straw or tubing (in various colors) which mimics the eels the Cobia feed on. The "bubble" is filled with water to give enough weight to cast in front of the Cobia; being clear plastic, it disappears and a neutral buoyancy once in the water.

I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of guys here are fly fishing saltwater now too; especially the grass flats and bays. Obviously bigger rods/reels/etc. than freshwater. In this video the fisherman lands the first Redfish at about 2:40 into the video, the Black Drum about 6:17 into it. http://youtu.be/PH7shWi3xmg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the bays and bayous I use the same rod 7 reel combo as I do in freshwater: A 6.5 to 7 foot medium action Shakespeare Ugly Stick with a Penn 4400SS reel and 12# test mono. From the pier I use a 8 to 9 foot medium-heavy action rod with a Condor 650 reel and 20# test mono (usually with heavier leaders; sometimes wire leaders for the toothy critters) I seldom use weights for either of these types of fishing unless I'm going for flounder, in which case I'd use an egg sinker above the leader (about a half ounce to an ounce)

I need to get a longer rod for surf fishing. 10 to 12 feet would be perfect for that. Weights in the surf would depend on just how high the surf is; from 2 ounce to 4 ounce pyramid weights.

Last edited:

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
thanks for the advice... i like the idea of a compact travel rod for fresh/saltwater spinning and fancy the shakespear agility exp for the money.. will get to the store for a look and feel.. Any recommendations? I have a bit of a cork fetish mind!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Just a suggestion but look into the LRF kit, you can use it for Freshwater fishing too. I have just landed a rather nice abu bait caster an reel combo for £39.99 on ebay and there is a beautiful fixed spool combo for about a 10er more, for £80 you can get so much kit it will last you for ages.

When I get myself a makers membership (week or two) I'll have lures and jigs on offer well below normal market.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just a suggestion but look into the LRF kit, you can use it for Freshwater fishing too. I have just landed a rather nice abu bait caster an reel combo for £39.99 on ebay and there is a beautiful fixed spool combo for about a 10er more, for £80 you can get so much kit it will last you for ages....

Got any pix? I'd like a peek at that.

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
Looking forward to the lures being available... Pics of your work? I just plumped for a shimano travel rod that does 8 or 9' with an optional section nearest the handle end. Combo deal with a shimano baitcaster 4000 for £80 which im quite happy with! Some of these fancy Japanese lures people bang on about are mega money!!!

Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_262 using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
For a good reason, they work and last well. When I started lure fishing I bought a dozen cheap one off ebay, had to change all the split rings and hooks.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Looking forward to the lures being available... Pics of your work? I just plumped for a shimano travel rod that does 8 or 9' with an optional section nearest the handle end. Combo deal with a shimano baitcaster 4000 for £80 which im quite happy with! Some of these fancy Japanese lures people bang on about are mega money!!!

Once I get my makers membership you'll be drowing in pic's.

I have one that has been working well for school pass I call the chubster, it's 5cm long with a bit off a odd action shallow diver but the bass love it.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can people talking of lures and things post some photos? As a complete numpty when it comes to fishing the lures are all a bit foreign to me, so photos would help me get an idea what you are talking about.

Julia

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
They are nice, i caved and bought a yo-zuri minnow. When I bought the rod i bought a ryobi lure which was in the Japanese style but cheaper (£6?) which has a kimono style slanted head rather than a "bib" so curious to see how that fairs. I must say the rattle action in the yo zuri seems much more refined.

So what are your go-to bass lures ? When do you fish different styles/ depths?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE