Lucky Find (Axe Head)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I took a trip to Pensacola today to get tickets for next week's hockey game ($5 for all seats!) we had a good lunch at the pub, went to the Navy Exchange to do some shopping during the after Christmas sales and then went geo-caching on the way home. During the search for one particular cache in the woods along the Pensacola Bay I spotted this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1419904948_74d297b539af95df8c23bb475b60d5ec

I have a new axe!!!

Just a bit of surface rust. I'll post a better close up later.

Oh yeah; we also located 6 caches today.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice find SM2. :)

It's things like that that make you wonder about the story behind it. Why was it left there, did the handle break and they couldn't be bothered to come back or remember where they were cutting the tree down? We'll never know :dunno:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I reckon the handle eloped off with a strapping young sappling. Nice find Santaman, after years working in the woods I was still always amazed at what I could find in there.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice find SM2. :)

It's things like that that make you wonder about the story behind it. Why was it left there, did the handle break and they couldn't be bothered to come back or remember where they were cutting the tree down? We'll never know :dunno:

I reckon the handle eloped off with a strapping young sappling. Nice find Santaman, after years working in the woods I was still always amazed at what I could find in there.

I'm thinking that GB's right on this. It's only got a bit of surface rust so it hasn't been in the salt air long enough for the handle to have rotted out of the eye. It was also jammed into the trunk tight enough that it had to be kicked out. It looks as if the would be axeman didn't account for the lean of the tree and when it began to pinch over the axe, he pulled back and likely had hust the haft in his hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE