Low profile meths stove

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Was out in the garage today having a play with stove ideas and came up with a carbon felt wick stove with remote feed. The carbon felt, silicone tube and nipples were bought from minibulldesign and the stove body was yet another airgun pellet tin.

Nothing is new regarding carbon felt and remote feeds but I have not seen such a low profile design used? The height of the stove is 8mm.

I used on my first design a whole tin but found the internal space too great and the alcohol had problems wicking across the whole surface area. My second try I used the lid with a hole and cut down a pellet tin so that just two layers of felt were needed when it was all sandwiched together.

I used some JB Weld to fill any gaps and also to hold the fuel nipple in place.

001-19.jpg

002-15.jpg

003-13.jpg

Whereas my stoves have been to date as fast as possible to boil, this one is more sedate but has much better efficiency. My original stove here...

003-12.jpg

... boiled 500ml in 3.5 minutes using 1 oz/30ml alcohol. My new wick stove boils 500ml of room temp water in 7.5 minutes BUT only uses just 0.5 oz/15ml of alcohol! For a vigorous rolling boil a tad more meths is needed.

I have included this stove in my cook kit along with the quick boil stove which all still packs into the Titan kettle bar the large fuel bottle. I now have the option to fast boil, slow cook and cook for longer using the remote feed. The stove can be used with or without the remote feed.

The stove stats are stove, silicone and bottle 38g/1.4oz. Stove only 17g/0.6oz.

Steve.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats smart and very packable, I like a lot.

Being able to control the cooking temp is a big plus in my book.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Ta all, I know what you mean Teepee on the controllability. I did try to come up with an adjustable heat carbon felt stove and did make something using 2 lids bolted together with segments cut out but the heat output on full was poor. Boil time was about 14 minutes on full and on the lowest setting was very little heat. It's a bit rough but the principle is sound and the adjuster ring was easily operated while the stove was within a wire pot stand by poking something through. A proper adjusting rod would be even better...
005-7.jpg

006-6.jpg

Steve.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats a neat idea. I've got some caps I've salvaged off the bottom of some stainless flasks which look ideal for these, I'm going to have to have a play with them.

I saw a youtube video from a Japanese guy who made a remote feed meths burner, it had a vapourising tube and valve connected to a medical IV bag with silicon tubing. I've tried finding it again but drew a blank.

I think the burner weighed 18g and was smaller than a matchbox. A much more complicated design though, tins are much easier to bend back into shape after my size 12's have crushed them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE