lots of spoons

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I just finished a spoon carving course and was really pleased with the things people made so have some pictures to share.

20130208-P2080095.jpg

20130208-P2080092.jpg

getting several spoon blanks out of a crook
keith4jpg.jpg

really understanding sharpening demands magnification
keith6.jpg

an edge at 20x off the 1000 grit stone
keith7.jpg

More pics here

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There is some quality work there, testament to your teaching skills

To be fair this was a developers course not a beginners course and they were a good bunch. I tried some new teaching methods with them that worked really incredibly well. Instead of going free with the wood I made them make copies of good spoons from my collection. It worked well and everybody got a lot out of it. To me it is a bit like learning to play an instrument by playing specific tunes that work well rather than just making noise and hoping for the best.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
ahhh,when I "grow up" I want to teach people just like you do. an example really worth to follow. Andy

I have no plans on "growing up", I came to teaching quite late really I spent 12 years full time making before starting to teach at all. Many folk start teaching right away but for me I always wanted to be a maker primarily.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sue and I used to carve in the woods in Essex 20 years ago, I think I bought the first spoon she ever sold and still have it, a good big birch ladle. I paid £40 for it which was a lot of money back then when on National Trust Warden wages. Copying good spoons is a great way to learn about what it is that makes them good. Once you have found what that essence is you can put it into your own designs.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
None of my spoons there, these were all made by folk I was teaching. 6 folk three days so they all went home with a few spoons but more importantly with the skills to make better spoons at home.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Lovely work there. It's great carving spoons. My first one looked like the 'ace of spades'!! (not intentional) It always amazes me how sometmes spoons can look a bit rough while your carving but with some loving sanding down it transforms the 'ugly duckling' into the beautiful swan!! -............................ No I havn't been smoking anything!!! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE