QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Reading through
Cravenhighlands.jpg

from
http://www.yorkshirecdbooks.com/index.html

I came across the following (I added the map)
simonfellboulder.jpg

Well I can't see White stones on the map or find any reference to it via Google.There's two or three "Gods" bridges in the area where the local beck flows under a natural arch, so I wondered if "Lords seat", which I've flagged on the map, could be a later (than 1892) name for it ? Looking on Google earth though I can't see a 210ft x 120ft boulder just a white scar. So was it here ? has it been quarried away ? (though no tracks on map).I'm going to add it to the list of places to explore and will post up when I've been. In the mean time has anyone got any geological surveys or maps that might show anything ?
cheers all Danny

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I know that area quite well or I did when I was younger should I say......could it have been broken up and used for boundaries or buildings mate ??

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Hi Danny, I think you might be right with what you've flagged up, would be worth a look see, whats that feature about 450/500 metres direct South of the Summit and just above the 600m contour before the slope gets steeper, approx centre of the grid square above Simon Fell breast.

I love reading your Teddy tours, good stuff mate.

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi timboggle don't know what this means either
simonfellbig.jpg

the scars in front of Lords seat might be worth a look as well. It just seems funny to have lost something so big and why break something up so far out even for walls when there's so much scree about. It's haversack and boots time !
cheers Danny

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Brilliant, thats it - prob just smaller scree/boulders there, I'll look forward to reading about the trip out, keep up the good work, cheers mate

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Good luck, at least it's big enough that if you find it you'll know it's the right one. :)

The last few years I've tried to track down various bits and bobs from the antiquity report for my pal's bit of land. Some jump right out the bracken at you, others take a bit more rummaging around and some seem to have disappeared.
One of the vanishing acts is a 15' stone. Again there are tons of convenient building material and all the structures thereabouts predate the report anyway.
It's probably still there - dense wee bit of the wood now. Seems odd not to have bumped into it already though. It's only a few hundred metres from camp.

Stone.jpg

The maps you want to go along with those reports are the 6" to 1 mile series. One of your local libraries will have them and at mine it's just a case of ordering a photocopy and popping back in for it(or marking up your own map).
They don't have contours but they have names for every burn, hillock and outcrop. They're the maps the folk would have been using when they wrote the report.

I've also been enjoying the Teddy Tours. Thanks for posting. :D

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Just a thought, but have you tried looking in the local bouldering guidebook? If something that size still exists then all you'll have to look for is lots of thin men carrying mattresses in the approximate area. Follow them and they'll lead you right to it.

Cheers, Michael.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Just a thought, but have you tried looking in the local bouldering guidebook? If something that size still exists then all you'll have to look for is lots of thin men carrying mattresses in the approximate area. Follow them and they'll lead you right to it.

Cheers, Michael.

:lmao:

Aye, as kids we used to climb allover these things and learnt how to bounce when we fell off

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"...on the south of Simon Fell."

Might be worth looking a wee bit further south than that midgie mark. Simon Breast would still be 'south' and those tightening contours where the geology changes might be of interest.
There's also some kind of feature marked to the right of the map, between the 590 to 550 lines. What does the map legend give those as ?

Teddy tours are good reading :D

cheers,
Toddy

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Good luck, at least it's big enough that if you find it you'll know it's the right one. :)

The maps you want to go along with those reports are the 6" to 1 mile series. One of your local libraries will have them and at mine it's just a case of ordering a photocopy and popping back in for it(or marking up your own map).
They don't have contours but they have names for every burn, hillock and outcrop. They're the maps the folk would have been using when they wrote the report.

nowadays with the computer I tend to forget about the local library and dismiss it as somewhere for large print Barbara Cartland books :eek: but you right I might even go to the larger one at Skipton cheers Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
"...on the south of Simon Fell."

Might be worth looking a wee bit further south than that midgie mark.
cheers,
Toddy

From my readings I think the Victorians thought nothing of walking a few miles more than we're used to now so about 3 miles south south east at SD 78178 - 70239 above the village of Wharfe there's White Stone and White Stone Wood,though maybe too far to be classed as Simon Fell
whitestone.jpg

not really on my route but maybe worth a look sometime ?
Just as an aside I signed up for and only use Photobucket for BCUK it's just informed me that I'm at nearly 70% of my bandwidth and should consider going pro (i.e. paying) has anyone else come across this ?
cheers Danny

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
nowadays with the computer I tend to forget about the local library and dismiss it as somewhere for large print Barbara Cartland books :eek: but you right I might even go to the larger one at Skipton cheers Danny

There's a little index book of outline maps and sheet numbers. That's the first thing to ask for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE