Lord Ancrum's Wood - "First" time camping in woodland.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, everyone. Now this might sound a bit strange, but I haven't camped that much. Sure I've volunteered in the countryside, spent time hiking in the Highlands and am now learning rural skills, but I just haven't made camping a priority for some reason. I guess it was because I didn't know how to light a fire. Now I can light fire, with multiple tinders, with the firesteel. I've camped with the family in the Trossachs, but it was very domestic camping, especially the firecraft, but now I'm looking to finally getting into a bit of solitary camping.

Here's a list of my carry.

Firesteel
Tinderbox (cotton, charcloth and birch bark scrapings/peelings)
Knife
Folding saw
Ray Mears Bushcraft
Food: soup, pot

A rather simple approach.

I have permission. The woods are a part of my college and the lecturer is quite aware that I practice Bushcraft.

Is there any advice I should hear before camping? I know what I'm doing, but I'd just like to hear any words of advice.

It's an odd thing to have spent two years learning the outdoors, but never having camped by myself in the woods.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Are you planning on making a shelter or taking a bivvy or tent etc. also I would probably take an axe.

Hope this helps.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Are you planning on making a shelter or taking a bivvy or tent etc. also I would probably take an axe.

Hope this helps.

I'm planning to just take a one man tent for simplicity's sake. I'll probably be focused on getting the fire started more than anything, so I wouldn't have time. That and I've never actually constructed a woodland shelter before.

I don't have my own Bushcraft axe, but my father might have one in the workshop.

Thanks.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I would take an axe if you can especially for chopping firewood.

Good luck, hope you have a nice trip :).

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I was you, I would ditch the tent and take a tarp...doesn't need to be a fancy one..but being in the fresh air and not being closed in a tent will really enhance your experience..and who knows you may find a fox or badger may come to investigate your camp after dark...you wouldn't see that if you're cooped up in a tent.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If I was you, I would ditch the tent and take a tarp...doesn't need to be a fancy one..but being in the fresh air and not being closed in a tent will really enhance your experience..and who knows you may find a fox or badger may come to investigate your camp after dark...you wouldn't see that if you're cooped up in a tent.

Greg's right... Also you'll see the zombies before they can get close enough....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its your first trip

Take it all

Tent, mat, sleeping bag, stove, teddy bear, head torch, favourite book, lantern - the works

Spend a night, be warm, dry, comfortable

Then try to simplify and reduce

You don't have to be "hard core" the first time you sleep alone

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Its your first trip

Take it all

Tent, mat, sleeping bag, stove, teddy bear, head torch, favourite book, lantern - the works

Spend a night, be warm, dry, comfortable

Then try to simplify and reduce

You don't have to be "hard core" the first time you sleep alone
Hm, I might've perhaps come across as a little bit too inexperienced than is actually the case. I'm extremely comfortable in the woods. I know you're probably joking about the teddy bear, but I can't read sarcasm well over the internet. I'm 20. Heh.

One bad solitary camping trip won't scare me from this hobby as I'm already deep into it, but I understand that I should probably make it easier for myself.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nothing wrong with a teddy bear! It doesn't have to be boring and stuffy and macho ;)

My youngest is older than you Thoaken - and I'm not embarrassed to take some creature comforts with me. Its not a competition.

A wise man once said "any fool can be uncomfortable" - if you are uncomfortable, you are doing it wrong.

My point is, take all the creature comforts with you your first time - then try to reduce if that floats your boat.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Nothing wrong with a teddy bear! It doesn't have to be boring and stuffy and macho ;)

My youngest is older than you Thoaken - and I'm not embarrassed to take some creature comforts with me. Its not a competition.

A wise man once said "any fool can be uncomfortable" - if you are uncomfortable, you are doing it wrong.

My point is, take all the creature comforts with you your first time - then try to reduce if that floats your boat.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying and I see the value in that. I'm really not one of the Grylls wannabes. I'm not in Bushcraft to be seen as "macho" or a "badass" survivalist.

There's truth in your words. I'll think about making my list a bit bigger to accommodate more creature comforts.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll think about making my list a bit bigger to make things more comfortable.

Just so. You don't have to "rough it", especially not the first time. The joy is being out in the woods at night, alone, listening to the sounds, seeing the sights, breathing the smells. If you enjoy that, probe deeper, be more self reliant, but just doing that, on a comfortable mat, in a warm bag, is more than many ever experience. Don't run before you can walk.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Just so. You don't have to "rough it", especially not the first time. The joy is being out in the woods at night, alone, listening to the sounds, seeing the sights, breathing the smells. If you enjoy that, probe deeper, be more self reliant, but just doing that, on a comfortable mat, in a warm bag, is more than many ever experience. Don't run before you can walk.

+ 1 to that and I also fear people undervalue a good nights sleep.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
...and something to keep the zombies away, or werewolves. Depending on the region...

And the moon.....

;)

Shotgun, two shotguns is better. Crossbow is worth the extra weight too. Couple of Rambo knives. Sharp stakes in the ground all round the tent is worth the effort. Kindle, radio and then just relax.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Shotgun, two shotguns is better. Crossbow is worth the extra weight too. Couple of Rambo knives. Sharp stakes in the ground all round the tent is worth the effort. Kindle, radio and then just relax.

Shotgun? Are you mad? The splatter effect would spread the infection far and wide. And a crossbow isn't going to do much. Broadsword is what's needed - up close and personal. The stakes I agree with, but in a trench with some nice dry kindling ready to burn at a moments notice - establish a perimeter - then, burn baby burn. Zombie inferno.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Shotgun? Are you mad? The splatter effect would spread the infection far and wide. And a crossbow isn't going to do much. Broadsword is what's needed - up close and personal. The stakes I agree with, but in a trench with some nice dry kindling ready to burn at a moments notice - establish a perimeter - then, burn baby burn. Zombie inferno.

Still spatter but this could be good, need a solar panel or three though to keep it charged but its more eco friendly than petrol

[video=youtube;ERdqdQgeo_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERdqdQgeo_U[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE