Looks like the season has started....

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Found a few field mushrooms and 2 kinds of ceps in the garden today, as well as 3 more species I dont know. So looks like the mushroom season is well under way!
This one looks pretty - not sure if its an edible or not though, any ideas?
_MG_1324.jpg

_MG_1326.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is where The Mushroom Lady comes into her own! The other day I went out with The Ratbag and we happened across a rather large white mushroom type funghi with brown gills. Looked like the ones you buy in the shops but on steroids! I have very little idea when it comes to gilled 'shrooms though, so I tend to have a look and then leave well alone.

I know some of the more poisonous ones enough to know how to kill somebody off if they pee me off! Many was the time in Germany when communal barbeques would be going on and the missus would ask if I'd go and pick some bad 'uns, wrap them in tin foil with a bit of butter and sneak them onto the barbie and bugger off before somebody saw. They would have been eaten too.......

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Hmmm

Nice colour , how big is the cap?

Looks like it might be a Rufous Milk-cap Lactarius rufus edible

should ooze milky juice if broken ,white flesh

cap averages 8cm

OR

False Chanterelle Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca not poisonous

orange flesh average size 5cm

OR

anything else not in the book I found to look in

Bardster I know you know but, Usual small print about fungi applies

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Look carefully at the bottom picture. The gills ( they are gills not rigdes) are tapering right down the stem until they disapper, they aren't coming to abrupt stop in neat line. False chanterelle the gills come to stop like they do in clitocybes, milk caps. From what I remember they tend to be less bright in colour.

Considering you found ceps i presume you have trees. jack o lantens are dependant on tree roots to grow, ie they won't grow in grass. It is rarely found as far north as britian, but is found here, esspecially the warmer counties. They glow slightly in the dark, and they are deadly poisonious. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/omphalotus_illudens.html

I can't think of anything else that is that bright and that shape. the various red coloured milk caps don't have caps that smooth.

The spiky pestle is an eater though.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Look carefully at the bottom picture. The gills ( they are gills not rigdes) are tapering right down the stem until they disapper, they aren't coming to abrupt stop in neat line. False chanterelle the gills come to stop like they do in clitocybes, milk caps. From what I remember they tend to be less bright in colour.

Considering you found ceps i presume you have trees. jack o lantens are dependant on tree roots to grow, ie they won't grow in grass. It is rarely found as far north as britian, but is found here, esspecially the warmer counties. They glow slightly in the dark, and they are deadly poisonious. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/omphalotus_illudens.html

I can't think of anything else that is that bright and that shape. the various red coloured milk caps don't have caps that smooth.

The spiky pestle is an eater though.

hmm interesting cheers, although its growing right in the middle of the lawn, not near the trees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE