Looking forward to the harvest

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Our medlar tree is growing quite a few fruits this year, will pick and blet them to make jelly (I'll use crab apple for the pectin)

87f96e3b1700fff97063b50c142fe8f7.jpg

The cobnut tree I put in has 6 nuts on it:

85ab1be206d500de06f97c382e117497.jpg

The only other hazelnut tree on the property has a few on it too but I bet the squirrels get them before I do... :(

Palaeocory

Forager
Ooh, what are medlar fruits? I haven't heard of them before, what do they taste like?

I'm going to collect blackberries next week as it looks like enough will be ready, and the birds won't have had them all yet. The elderberries are just starting to be ripe as well, so I'll grab a few of those! Sadly I don't have a garden...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've only ever tasted medlar jelly and it tastes like Christmas. Really, it tastes like spiced mincemeat. You have to let the fruits "blet" once picked - they have to partially rot as in this climate they don't fully ripen.

Blackberries aren't in that much abundance this year and although there is a steady amount of fruit on the plum and pear trees, they're not bursting like 2013. Elderberries aren't ripe yet (not that I've actually seen any) but all the rowan berries have gone, presumably eaten by birds.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nothings really ripened up here yet bar the gooseberries (which are my favourite and were lovely.this year).
Raspberries should be ready soon and my neighbours medlars are looking plump. Though my mate in the village usually gets them as he makes some lovely stuff out of them.
The wild mint has been really sweet this year and makes for a lovely mint tea brew when out for a daunder.
For the second year in a row there are no ash keys on the local trees, but I'm not overly fond of them unless using them instead of capers in homemade tartar sauce.
Haven't been out to the feral plums and apples yet but should be a good crop going by the blossom earlier.
Loads of elderberries 'round here and I'll be off to pick some when ready.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE