Looking for photos of sheep and goats.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I could tell you were not dragged out on canned safari to see the big five (or whatever number they are) none of which have horns and are so not interesting to me.

(You can imagine what I would be like on safari. I DEMAND ONE CRYPTID AND SUMMAT TO EAT)

(`The Spotted Lion` by Gandar Dower (?) is a great safari book, if you like that sort of thing. He is not, um, a photographer but his slapdash pictures add to the charm)

I am traumatised by public speaking too but I still have to do it. The perils of being a Great Scholar.

Anyhow, one beast I left out...sorry guys.

I need pics of a motzerella cheese buffalo.

Rhinos and buffalos both have horns (which is the downfall of the former) and are included in the "Big Five" but for my money, hippos are far more impressive than buffalos which despite their formidable reputation are just big cows.

I always used to feel sorry for the guides desperately trying to find the "Big Five" for their pampered guests so they could tick them off and head back to the pool and cocktails at their luxury lodge away from the dust and heat and all those boring animals not on the list!

Here is a buffalo that has been well and truly mozzarellad!

5166541370_496f2e538c_o.jpg

I'll look out for the Spotted Lion - my go to guides were the Richard Estes Safari and Mammal Behavioural books - not ID books but fascinating insights into what animals are doing and why.

As for cryptids - I have got a blurred picture somewhere of a Tanzanian or Ugandan monkey only discovered in either the 1990s or noughties.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great photos Nomad; I won't bother offering any of my antelope (mainly shot in Namibia too) - but here's a water buffalo (note, pedantically, mozzarella cheese is made from the milk of the Italian Mediterranean water buffalo which I believe is a sub-species or a specific 'breed'). These are the Asian water buffalo and used in the UK :) which I believe are Bubalus bubalis.

water buffalo_0012 - 2048 - 25.jpg

Reactions: Nomad64

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't know how you can have such a learned paper without any reference to the North American Jackalope......
Jackalope-SantaFeUniversity-via-YouTube2y.jpg

What you get for demanding a cryptid...with horns.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
(`The Spotted Lion` by Gandar Dower (?) is a great safari book, if you like that sort of thing. He is not, um, a photographer but his slapdash pictures add to the charm)

Thanks for the recommendation Tengu - I picked up a cheap, scruffy 1937 edition of K Gandar Gower’s Spotted Lion.

Only had a quick flick through it - looks interesting, very much of its time but a lot more readable than Laurens Van der Post who (although he has his many admirers), I find excruciating to the point of being almost unreadable.

I will enjoy reading it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE