Sold Looking for Handy Hammock Stand / DD Hammock Stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 29, 2020
Sheffield
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Handy Hammock Stand sometimes known as a DD Hammock Stand.

Does anyone know where I can buy one or anything similar?

Many Thanks,

David

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have one for sale. It might seem strange that I would be selling something that I wrote a review on and really rate them but I have my reasons. I have moved from a DD hammock to an EasyHammock. The Easy has a fixed ridgeline which controls its hang. This in turn makes it hang lower then a DD, net result my bum touches the ground. I had used it to rig the DD as a bivi but my days ground dwelling are over ( too old: too fat! ).
Where the binner of the hammock connects to the top of Handy's pole there are 2 steel rings. In time these have become oval! The steel has been pulled by my 100kgs but the weld is still good.
I am looking for £75 post paid if anyone is interested.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
The design of the Easy is a bit different to most. With my weight I would always have my DD quite tight as otherwise I would find myself trying to get out of a hammock 12 inchs off the deck !!!!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
11 Foot hammock, add another foot for the binners, 12 foot would be pushing it unless you set it up very tight. The Easy has a fixed ridgeline with the mossy net off that so there is a good space between the top of the mossy net and the bottom of the hammock ( even with it being a flat lay) .
I had a bit of treehugger looped on the DD along with a binner, say 15cm extra each end 2.7M hammock is a nice 3M in total which makes it 9ft 9 inch. I could get in and out of the DD with ease and while my bum was low it never touched the ground. Some one would have to do the maths for a true answer but if we think of a 3,4,5 right angled triangle 5 inch extra hammock would need a 3 inch extra high anchor. Conversely 6 inch more each end would mean the hammock dips by no more then 4 inch and I definitely had that much clearance!!

edit
re-read this and even I find it a bit garbled. Yes I think it would work for a 11ft hammock but you would have to set it tight. The gap between the two poles is not fixed, being the length of the hammock in use. The poles set up to a fixed height it is this along with the angle of droop which sets the limits.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What a brilliant reply thanks!

Sounds like theres not gonna be enough height once you account for a 80 something percent ridgline giving a good amount of sag

Jan 29, 2020
Sheffield
As I say I used mine for a DD and it worked great but retiring it as use an EasyHammock now.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I am working away tonight. I’m in West Malling. Is that anywhere near you?

I’m interested in the stand. Bit worried that it’s strong enough though I weigh 72kgs.

Regards,

David

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I am Medway. Don't know my exact weight but it has been along time since I was 70 kgs... much much closer to 100 now. As I said the rings are less then a perfect circle but the weld is sound. The well known secret is to make sure the pegs are driven fully home. The whole thing works on the strength of a triangular pyramid . The stand is held at an angle to the hammock by two amsteel lines which in turn is fixed to the ground. The forces on the stand are then passed down amsteel lines which run down 3 sides of the pole. The whole pyramid is then held up by the hammock which in turn is held up by the stand at the other end. Another little trick is once you set it up the first time, connect a bit of thin cord between the two discs the stand sits in, (it is not load bearing in any way so any skinny string/cord works) . Next time you set it up the cord gives the right spacing and saves messing about. Make sure you have a good read of my review. It was not sponsored; I paid real money!

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?attachments/img_20140907_154331-jpg.32467/
you can see the thin cord under my Grandson's foot

Last edited:

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I use mine with a Hennessy, I had to make a new measure string, but have two knots so I can convert it back to the supplied hammock.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I was going to use the funds from the Handy to get some new gear, as I have found a cheaper supply can offer the Handy Hammock stand for £60 postage paid now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE