Looking for big, strong brass grommets

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
So for a project that's trotting about in my head, I am looking for three (or multiple thereof) really strong grommets, about 1.1/2" (38mm) inside diameter.

Each grommet is going to go through leather at a little under 1/4" (6.35mm) thickness.

If I can't find anything commercial, I'll have to make some, but that would be quite a bit of work so I'd rather avoid it...

I had found this supplier, who lists 1.1/2" as being n° 10 size, but recommends them for curtains. My application will put perhaps as much as 40kg on each eyelet.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
First thought is to look at chandlers, see if sailing uses something suitable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At that size you're really looking at curtain rings. 38mm is an awfully wide aperture......what on Earth are you feeding through it ? Most curtain grommets are two part plastic, though some are aluminium or mazac type stuff.
The only other thing I can suggest is to maybe look at the sites of folks who repair gym equipment.....older fashioned stuff, like the wrestling and boxing rings and punch bags; these are meant to take a lot of strain and remain safe.

If it were on fabric, and the curtain ones weren't available, or simply too small, it'd be more usual to use a ring of metal and oversew that on. Usually when we do that we try to cut as few fabric threads as possible, we can manage with a stiletto to spread the weave apart. Pretty sure you'd need to cut the leather, and then over sew it. It could be done with a ring either side if the hole is going to stop wear.

cheers,
Toddy

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think using some brass tube of the correct diameter and forming it in situ might be your only option

That said, turn the right bits on a lathe and solder them together. You might want to use glue or rivets to hold them more securely in place

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Kind of thinking a tube with a large steel ball either end and crush in a vice.

McMaster tops out at 1 3/32" ID http://www.mcmaster.com/#two-piece-grommets/=kf28xz

I'd not thought of looking at McMaster-Carr. I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the past few years while I lived in New Jersey. Their range of producs is amazing, prices are competitive and delivery times and charges are absolutely great. I've ordered stuff on a Monday and had it by Wednesday with shipping charged at cost.

As opposed to some other vendors who'll list an 10g shim for $1 and then charge $10.99 in postage and packing, which means an 85 cent stamp and $10.14 for the whole 45 seconds that it takes to grab the pre-printed label and stick it on the envelope.

Hmm... $10.14 for 45 seconds... by my reckoning, that's $13.52 per minute, or $811.20 per hour. Crikey, that would make $32,448 for a 40 hour week! That's almost as good as a pediatrician or a dentist!

Jan 15, 2012
essex
you could try one of the big sail makers. yacht sail dont ues lines of that size, but some of the big old sail boat have got very big sails and they would use thick lines. worth a try

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE