Looking for advice on Galloway Forest Park

Jul 16, 2015
Manchester
Hi guys,

I'm making a trip up to Galloway Forest Park around this time next year and was wondering if anyone had done any wild camping up there?

I'm planning to start at Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre late morning, work my way south and back up along the west side of Clatteringshaws Loch, follow the River Dee to Loch Dee, follow the north bank of the Loch and then head north west, past the Long and Round Lochs of Glenhead, over Buchan Hill and then pitch camp somewhere in the woods around Buchan Burn.

Anyone been up that neck of the woods (if you'll excuse the horrific pun!)?

Any and all advice welcome

stone monkey

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2015
east yorkshire
Hi, not wild camping but went to the campsite near Glen Trool, didn't stay because only out of the car for 5 mins and never experienced midges like it :eek: When you go take plenty of strong repellant and a headnet at the least.
Cheers, Ian

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I love the Galloway Forest Park midges and all, you'll find many a great place to wild camp up there, the north, west and south shores of Clatteringshaws are a bit bleak and miserable currently due to the active forestry work harvesting all the sitka spruce, it is a working forest so this is going on here and there, but the park is massive and it is easy to get away from, best thing to do is be prepared to explore, a 4wd vehicle wouldn't hurt in a fair few places

If you are interested here is a link to my last trip up that way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE