Looking for a light, functional, highly waterproof and breathable hard shell...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me in my search for my ideal waterproof jacket :)

Specifications are as follows...

- Highly waterproof (at least 20,000mm, although preferably more).
- Water proof zips.
- Highly breathable (at least 20,000g).
- Good ventilation (pit zips and other features, although not essential if the breath-ability is good enough).
- Good hood fit (adjustable, can fit a large warm hat underneath, comes out far enough to stop face getting wet in stormy weather).
- Lightweight (no more than around 800g ideally).
- Durable (must be able to cope with mild abrasion and a heavy rucksack being worn over it).
- A few pockets would be nice but not essential if everything else is there.

Price - ideally cheap if it's possible, but will go up to around £300 if I have to.

Cheers :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
This meets all your requirements apart from the hood. Gore paclite, so very breathable, compressible and lightweight, waterproof zips, pit zips for ventilation, 2x pockets (conveniently placed so as not to interfere with rucksack waist strap).

Oh, and £40 brand new....

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
This meets all your requirements apart from the hood. Gore paclite, so very breathable, compressible and lightweight, waterproof zips, pit zips for ventilation, 2x pockets (conveniently placed so as not to interfere with rucksack waist strap).

Oh, and £40 brand new....

You didn't say what jacket? :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Arcteryx Alpha SV

Not so breathable but will take a ton of abuse, is as waterproof as jackets get, has massive pit zips and the best hood I have ever used. I got one a while back and am so glad I did! I'm not sure about your size but there are always some on eBay for around £300. Oh, and it's made in Canada, not a sweat shop somewhere. It also lacks pockets right where your rucksack hip belt or climbing harness will be which is a nice design touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullzLsRrk-w

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcteryx-Mens-Alpha-SV-Jacket-XL-/281798886081?hash=item419c85c2c1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE