Long term survival shelter help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hello guys , as you know I am a rookie in bushcraft :) so I need your help with this one.
I have vacation for 20 days in february and I will be going in my house in the mountains , where I am planing to train train and train in bushcraft and survival skills , I want to make a long term survival shelter , something that I will keep visiting every time I go there for vacation , I have some thoughts about how I want it to be and look like (if you will give me advices for this one also it will be taken in mind :) ) But the main question is the location of the shelter , the area is covered half regular trees and half evergreen , but they are not together there is one and right after that at one place starts evergreen forest , if some of you saw my video about winter survival shelter that is a good place flat place, has water near it and most important hast material for building , but the only downside is that it is about 2 km far from the populated area so sometimes you can hear noises from there , I mean its not a place where you can just sit by yourself with your thoughts , you can hear if someone is timberworking with chainsaw or sounds of motorcycles and snowmobiles in winter. the regular tree forest is 95% Beech and there are minimum materials for building , so can you guys help me with this one here I will show the maps so that you can have some idea.

403acc0f4040.png

I would for the first time doing it go with area 1.
You already know it has everything you want and need in a location.
Focus on the skills in a familiar enviroment.

Then explore areas 6,7 and 8 using your original location as a base camp to return to in the afternoon/evening knowing you have all you need there and waiting.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
from what I understand your shelter location(s) are on private property but close to populated areas-- how big is the risk of someone raiding/vandalizing your camp during your absence?! it might be a wise idea to cache valuables or carry them back with you every time you leave....

in winter I am safe no one goes in the woods in winter , everyone of the locals are busy making money from snowmobiles , skis , appartment and house rent. All of the visitors are busy skiing snowmobiling , drinking , for about 8 years I have never seen any footprints in snow 500 meters near of the shelter. you can see in the zoomed map picture on the edge of the woods there is a trail which was made for bicycles and running sportsmans which were training there back in 50-60s , it is 5-6km long and doesn't go in the woods deeper than 100 meters. at the most close point of that road my shelter is in about 200 meters in deep woods , on that road noone walks in the winter , so in winter I am safe but in summer , spring , fall , locals go to gather fungus in the woods and some people may come across it , so I won't be leaving anything there more than firewood :) There are plenty of building materials there , in 20 meters there is a small water source but not permanents sometimes there is water sometimes no , also I have this new , big , about 40-50 cm diameter fallen tree in 40 meters from the shelter , fallen in this summer , so I have plenty of firewoods to process and use.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I would for the first time doing it go with area 1.
You already know it has everything you want and need in a location.
Focus on the skills in a familiar enviroment.

Then explore areas 6,7 and 8 using your original location as a base camp to return to in the afternoon/evening knowing you have all you need there and waiting.

Great advice , I think I will do it that way.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
your very lucky to live in an area like that. i would stay near to home at first if you have an accident so its easy to get to help. as your skills get better with your tools then start going further away.

please keep us updated on your adventures.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
If it was me then I would have a look around area Seven at 41°43'53.65N 43°29'31.77E
The Google Earth images suggest a small shallow valley with possibly a. water source flowing from that area toward Bakurianis Andeziti.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
your very lucky to live in an area like that. i would stay near to home at first if you have an accident so its easy to get to help. as your skills get better with your tools then start going further away.

please keep us updated on your adventures.

I will deffinetly post an update ! thanks for your advice , I will take it in mind

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
If it was me then I would have a look around area Seven at 41°43'53.65N 43°29'31.77E
The Google Earth images suggest a small shallow valley with possibly a. water source flowing from that area toward Bakurianis Andeziti.

Yes I saw it , there may be a water source , if so that will be a good place , and also in that area less people walk for fungus and wild edibles , i'd say two three times less than in area 1.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
What type of shelter are you thinking of building?

Double lean to , with a wall on one side about 1/2 , 3/4 of whole height and other side I don't know maybe nothing maybe half wall half entrance.
I can use help for that subject also :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
One that fascinates me simply because it is so efficient is the bunker shelter...

21.jpg

Slightly harder to construct due to all the digging... but it's easier to heat, compact and very easy to camouflage.... not to mention taking far less in materials than some of the above ground shelters you see.

If you made something like that, you could easily fit a basic log burner in there for heating/cooking... and come the summer months, cover it over and camouflage it until the following winter.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
One that fascinates me simply because it is so efficient is the bunker shelter...

21.jpg

Slightly harder to construct due to all the digging... but it's easier to heat, compact and very easy to camouflage.... not to mention taking far less in materials than some of the above ground shelters you see.

If you made something like that, you could easily fit a basic log burner in there for heating/cooking... and come the summer months, cover it over and camouflage it until the following winter.

Wow now that is a really cool idea ! Maybe I will build that but somewhere else , somewhere where there are no people to steal my log burner , I have an idea for where that shelter could be built , but I think it will be better to build that in summer , when it's not -20 outside and when I have 3 months of vacation.
But for know I would like to build something more simple , something which will have one side open to the fire , so that I can enjoy that , recently I saw a "super shelter " video on youtube from survival lilly , I wouldn't call that a super shelter but that concept is really good , if you have seen it , my choice is something like that or double lean to.
If you know other setups I would like to hear it with pleasure.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Teepee-style?

The%2BWiki%2BUp%2BShelter.png

Relatively easy to construct... if you keep the fire smallish, you can have an open fire inside... bed round the edge.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Teepee-style?

The%2BWiki%2BUp%2BShelter.png

Relatively easy to construct... if you keep the fire smallish, you can have an open fire inside... bed round the edge.

I was thinking about that in the first place but making the top of that waterproof , that will be more difficult than a lean to

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Not sure you're supposed to make the top water-proof... it acts like a chimney when it's open like that... you just need to make the edges waterproof.

RM made something similar, and he covered it with moss upto about 4ft, then covered that with layers and layers of branches. You could always cheat and cover over the first 6ft with a tarp and wrap it around. No different to a lean to really... you're sleeping in the lower quarter of it, so it doesn't matter if the top section leaks a bit as long as you're dry.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
than that teepee should be pretty big so that I can fit next to the walls and be protected from rains , I am 1.93 m in height so I am not a small guy :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I see what you mean about the double lean to... that does look cosy. Bit more difficult to build than the teepee and you have those open sides.... not sure I'd be too chuffed with the open sides at -20c.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE