Long lines and how to....

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Ok. I am sure there is someone here who can either help or whom can direct me to another site.

i am about to embark on the use of a long lne at sea-

Not the Type where it is set at high tide and collected late, but the type that stands out for a day or over night.

The one i am after ( and have found) is compete and has 50 hooks on it.

My question is this, in order for me to be able to set this i have been told that i have to pre bait it and lay it in a container so that i can drive it out without it all tangling up.

Can anyone tell me whow to do this. I get cnfused trying to understand what they mean in Norwegian.

Thanks

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Is it a surface long line or one with weights and buoy lines?
It is literally as they say you bait up each hook, sandeels or fish strip like mackeral then set out the line. Coil the pre set line in a large bucket/fishbox to stop any tangles , its much easier with two people working the line. Wear gloves!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Dave Barker.
I've just spoken to a retired east coast fisherman and author friend of mine from Maldon and he has suggested two things but apologises as this was not his method as he net fished.(all his gear is now in the Essex Museum)
He said something about 'snoods' but said most importantly the line should be coiled in a basket (there is a correct way to do this too) so it could be 'shot' easily without snagging. The other important point was to 'shoot' ACCROSS the tide so the smell of the bait was carried to its greatest affect. We never got into more technical detail as he was away from his library but was happy to help further in the near future with 'reference book' titles, but as he was in Devon not Maldon, this may have to wait.
Perhaps the 'snood' was the method of attatching the first part of the line... we will have to wait and see!
You have put me onto a train of thought that has a personal interest that I have never really researched. I should really, as my little 'Smakke Joller' would have also fished in this way in the late 1930's.
I hope that this little bit of info is useful and I will be phoning him again to find out more. Swyn

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm sure somebody posted about this way back in the day. He had large metal clips with the snoods on, a snood as I recall is a length of line with a hook on the end. These clips were ready baited and as the main line was layed out to sea, the snoods were clipped on to the main line. The clips were really big, I will have a go on the search and see if I can find them.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
50 pre baited hooks are going to be very tricky to shoot Dave.
Local fisherman here (on Lough Neagh) use mono long lines for eel fishing and tha max they can have is 1200 hooks :eek:
They are pre baited and they use a winch/reel made from a large plastic barrel.
The prebaited hoods are rolled around the barrel and then paid out as they motor along.
I havent used the system and im not sure exactly how it's arranged , i do know they use barbless hooks.

The system i used as you know had the seperate snood's

rapidboy said:
First the anchor ,this is a home made anchor.
A rope is attached to the "tripping eye" and at the other end of the rope is attached the buoy.
413_1371_1.jpg

Another rope (the main line) is then attached to the anchor "ring".
The ropes are all the same length (approx. 70 feet) and have clip's at each end for quickly attaching and detaching.
413_1345_1.jpg

413_1342_1.jpg

You "shoot" the line and when the anchor is on the bottom the boat will lie to it and you can begin to attach the "snoods" to the main line.
These are the snoods.
413_1347_1.jpg

413_1351_1.jpg

413_1349_1.jpg

They are simply clipped in place.
413_1353_1.jpg

413_1357_1.jpg

413_1358_1.jpg

413_1359_1.jpg

Attached to the snood is a "hook length" and to that is attached another clip.
413_1362_1.jpg

To this is attached a swivel and a hook.
413_1366_1.jpg

As the main line is fed out the snoods are clipped on and spaced as required (best to clip far enough apart so the hooks can't tangle with each other).
As you come to the end of a rope simply snap on another untill you have used all the snoods.
Then attach to the ring of another anchor and attach another rope with a buoy to the tripping eye.

All the clips ,snood's and hook length's are all home made from stainless wire.
They are made on a jig so they are all the same size.
The clips are made larger than necessary so as to be easy to use when working with gloves on ,(very important as the rope's get covered in jelly fish stings)

Advantages over a normal mono filament long line setup are:

1.The snoods are all pre baited ,i used to bait them on the way out to the fishing grounds and this is much quicker than baiting each hook as it's fed out like on conventional mono long lines.

2.When you haul the lines you simply unclip the snoods ,complete with fish and drop them in a fish box rather than stopping to unhook them as you haul.
When you are heading home the fish can be unhooked and the swivel and hook can be dropped into a jar with some fish oil which will protect them until it's next needed.
Conventional long lines that leave the hook's attached need to have the hooks replaced as they corrode quickly in salt water.
The hooks in my pictures are 20 years old and as good as new.

3.You can coil the ropes as you haul them and when you reach a clip ,simply unclip and drop it in a basket.
This means you are actually packing the lines away as you haul them ,ready for the next time.

4.Being a modular system you can adapt it to suit ,increasing or decreasing th length of main line and the number of hooks to suit the ground and your requirements ,and any damaged parts are easily replaced.

5.Using ropes and large clips rather than mono and small snap swivels is much easier when wearing gloves and the whole system is much stronger and lasts much longer.

rb

It might be an idea to split your line into 5 length's of 10 hooks so it's easier to manage.
Some sort of snap links between the length's would let you hook them togethr as youy pay them out and unhook them as you retrieve them.

I sometimes use a 12 hook mono long line on the shore for flat fish or mackerel and it's hard to work with that without it getting in a tangle and that's on the shore.
Trying to shoot a longer set up from a boat sounds like a nighmare.

Let us know how you get on

Lawrence

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Depending on the size of boat you are using , but i seem to recall seeing someone longline with the hooks pre baited and attached to the line then they were placed in order in a length of plastic guttering on the side of the boat protruding over the stern ? . The important thing is to make sure the hooks leave the boat without any chance of hooking you or the boat and the ground rope has also a free run , a lope of rope aroung a leg would be serious indeed . Ilan

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Sorry didnt get back to this post ealier but seems every one has it covered, it really is something you should be 'shown' not tried after reading it , make sure its a slack tide when you first try it , if it runs at 5 or 6 knots you really got to get it right or the whole lot goes in before you get your snoods clipped on. This is an unreal experience and a local skippers father used to go after conga eels this way, the stories of hauling in 20 or 30 30lb+ beasties at night on a nobby are stuff of legend round here.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Just a little curious , What is the position in law regarding either net /pot fishing or with a long line in uk inshore waters . At what point does it become commercial and subject to registration etc i realise that all fishing is suject to size limts . ilan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE